Military Spouse Support Network

Go Back   Military Spouse Support Network > Board Business > Rule book

Rule book PLEASE STOP HERE BEFORE POSTING.

Old 12-13-2005, 08:47 AM   #1
Corey
Administrator
Site Admin

My Mood:
Corey is all that and a bag of chipsCorey is all that and a bag of chipsCorey is all that and a bag of chipsCorey is all that and a bag of chipsCorey is all that and a bag of chipsCorey is all that and a bag of chipsCorey is all that and a bag of chipsCorey is all that and a bag of chipsCorey is all that and a bag of chipsCorey is all that and a bag of chipsCorey is all that and a bag of chips
Exclamation OPSEC - personal and operational safety

OPSEC or Operational Security

OPSEC & PERSEC

OPSEC, also known as Operational Security, are the principles that we should all abide by when talking about our soldiers. If you’ve been on any military related message board on the internet, you have more than likely seen a warning to be sure to practice OPSEC. This means protecting the information you know about your soldier and his unit.

Generally, it means that you should not give out the following:

- Your soldier’s exact location overseas
- Any information on troop movements – this includes any movement while they are deployed, in transit to/from theater, etc. Do not ever give dates.
- Any information on weapons systems, how they train or numbers – for this reason, many pictures from overseas can easily violate OPSEC

If your soldier is in a special operations unit, the OPSEC guidelines can be stricter. You may not be able to say he is deployed at all much less where he is.

Always abide by the rules set forth by his unit. Just because it is on the news does not mean that you can talk about the issue. By talking about it, you are only verifying the information.

CORRECT:
My soldier is deployed in support of Iraqi Freedom or Enduring Freedom

INCORRECT:
My soldier is in XYZ Unit and is stationed at ABC Camp in XXX city in Iraq.

Give only general locations IF his unit allows it. The above incorrect statement is way too much information.

INCORRECT: My soldier’s unit is returning from deployment and flying into XYZ Airport at 8pm next Tuesday.

Never give dates or times for troop movements. This includes R&R dates as well as deployment dates. Planes have been known to be delayed for days or weeks because this information was made public by an excited spouse.

DEPLOYMENT TICKERS
Many spouses like to use deployment tickers to count down their soldier’s deployment. Never have a ticker that shows XX days until s/he returns. If you must have a ticker, then have one with the amount of time s/he has been gone.

Finally, for your own personal safety, be very aware of what you are putting on the internet or in conversations in public. With the internet, it is not difficult to track down an address and phone number. Do not make yourself a target by letting the world know that your husband is deployed.

PERSEC
PERSEC is also known as personal security. Like OPSEC, this involves guarding the information that you know. Do not give out your soldier’s name along with rank. Be vague about your personal information on the internet. This is plain common sense in just every day life – regardless of if your husband is in the military.

How much personal information you post is, of course, a personal choice, but think about it BEFORE you make a post and decide what's right for *you*.

The old saying loose lips sink ships still holds true today. Keep your soldier, your family and his unit safe by keeping the information you know to yourself. You never know who is lurking and gathering information on message boards, myspace pages and profiles, etc. Better safe than sorry!

For more info: http://www.militaryspot.com/resources/opsec-and-persec/

If you believe that you see an OPSEC violation on the boards, use the exclamation point icon to report the post to the staff to take care of it. Thank you!

FYI, OPSEC issues will be edited out of posts by staff.

Last edited by Corey; 07-27-2011 at 07:27 AM.
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 10:38 PM   #2
Corey
Administrator
Site Admin

My Mood:
Corey is all that and a bag of chipsCorey is all that and a bag of chipsCorey is all that and a bag of chipsCorey is all that and a bag of chipsCorey is all that and a bag of chipsCorey is all that and a bag of chipsCorey is all that and a bag of chipsCorey is all that and a bag of chipsCorey is all that and a bag of chipsCorey is all that and a bag of chipsCorey is all that and a bag of chips
Default Re: OPSEC - personal and operational safety

Everyone, please remember not to use specific deploying or return dates in your posts. Be vague when it comes to stuff like that.

The admins and mods are going to be on the lookout so if you receive a PM regarding an OPSEC concern, please know that we are not singling you out but are trying to help protect our troops.

Last edited by Corey; 02-25-2009 at 05:31 PM.
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:36 PM   #3
Corey
Administrator
Site Admin

My Mood:

Old 06-22-2007, 01:45 PM   #4
Ltwhtdove
I Love My Airman
You can't touch this!

Ltwhtdove is balls to the wallLtwhtdove is balls to the wallLtwhtdove is balls to the wallLtwhtdove is balls to the wallLtwhtdove is balls to the wallLtwhtdove is balls to the wallLtwhtdove is balls to the wallLtwhtdove is balls to the wallLtwhtdove is balls to the wallLtwhtdove is balls to the wallLtwhtdove is balls to the wall

thanks for the Corey! It is good to be reminded of these things.

Love

Susan
Ltwhtdove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:37 PM   #5
Steph
I love my marine!
Getting warmer

Steph is all that and a bag of chipsSteph is all that and a bag of chipsSteph is all that and a bag of chipsSteph is all that and a bag of chipsSteph is all that and a bag of chipsSteph is all that and a bag of chipsSteph is all that and a bag of chipsSteph is all that and a bag of chipsSteph is all that and a bag of chipsSteph is all that and a bag of chipsSteph is all that and a bag of chips

Read, Agreed, Signed
Steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:11 PM   #6
Innervision
Super Moderator
Super Mod

My Mood:
Innervision is all that and a bag of chipsInnervision is all that and a bag of chipsInnervision is all that and a bag of chipsInnervision is all that and a bag of chipsInnervision is all that and a bag of chipsInnervision is all that and a bag of chipsInnervision is all that and a bag of chipsInnervision is all that and a bag of chipsInnervision is all that and a bag of chipsInnervision is all that and a bag of chipsInnervision is all that and a bag of chips

Old 02-23-2009, 12:28 AM   #7
AOFinnysGirl
Getting warmer

My Mood:
AOFinnysGirl is all that and a bag of chipsAOFinnysGirl is all that and a bag of chipsAOFinnysGirl is all that and a bag of chipsAOFinnysGirl is all that and a bag of chipsAOFinnysGirl is all that and a bag of chipsAOFinnysGirl is all that and a bag of chipsAOFinnysGirl is all that and a bag of chipsAOFinnysGirl is all that and a bag of chipsAOFinnysGirl is all that and a bag of chipsAOFinnysGirl is all that and a bag of chipsAOFinnysGirl is all that and a bag of chips

Woopsy forgot ... sorry!
AOFinnysGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:05 PM   #8
AFWife1029
Enjoying life
I'm a posting machine!

My Mood:
AFWife1029 is all that and a bag of chipsAFWife1029 is all that and a bag of chipsAFWife1029 is all that and a bag of chipsAFWife1029 is all that and a bag of chipsAFWife1029 is all that and a bag of chipsAFWife1029 is all that and a bag of chipsAFWife1029 is all that and a bag of chipsAFWife1029 is all that and a bag of chipsAFWife1029 is all that and a bag of chipsAFWife1029 is all that and a bag of chipsAFWife1029 is all that and a bag of chips

*bump*

Deployment #6 done
Check out my websites I offer landscape photos for purchase
http://cjwuensche.smugmug.com
AFWife1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:50 PM   #9
mcc15
I miss my babe!!!
Getting warmer

My Mood:
mcc15 is all that and a bag of chipsmcc15 is all that and a bag of chipsmcc15 is all that and a bag of chipsmcc15 is all that and a bag of chipsmcc15 is all that and a bag of chipsmcc15 is all that and a bag of chipsmcc15 is all that and a bag of chipsmcc15 is all that and a bag of chipsmcc15 is all that and a bag of chipsmcc15 is all that and a bag of chipsmcc15 is all that and a bag of chips

I never knew any of that, thank you!
mcc15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:40 PM   #10
fell4myenemy15
new redhead!
I'm a posting machine!

My Mood:
fell4myenemy15 is all that and a bag of chipsfell4myenemy15 is all that and a bag of chipsfell4myenemy15 is all that and a bag of chipsfell4myenemy15 is all that and a bag of chipsfell4myenemy15 is all that and a bag of chipsfell4myenemy15 is all that and a bag of chipsfell4myenemy15 is all that and a bag of chipsfell4myenemy15 is all that and a bag of chipsfell4myenemy15 is all that and a bag of chipsfell4myenemy15 is all that and a bag of chipsfell4myenemy15 is all that and a bag of chips

read, agreed, signed
little time with the one they love.
It's for those knowing a good thing
when they see it,
even if they don't see it nearly enough

Wifey to Poison_Ivy her BEFORE the in-laws her AFTER the in-laws
fell4myenemy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 08:57 PM   #11
devil_soldier_078
Getting warmer

devil_soldier_078 is all that and a bag of chipsdevil_soldier_078 is all that and a bag of chipsdevil_soldier_078 is all that and a bag of chipsdevil_soldier_078 is all that and a bag of chipsdevil_soldier_078 is all that and a bag of chipsdevil_soldier_078 is all that and a bag of chipsdevil_soldier_078 is all that and a bag of chipsdevil_soldier_078 is all that and a bag of chipsdevil_soldier_078 is all that and a bag of chipsdevil_soldier_078 is all that and a bag of chipsdevil_soldier_078 is all that and a bag of chips

read, agreed, signed
devil_soldier_078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:35 AM   #12
woman2blame
Help me Tom Cruise!
Getting warmer

Location: I currently live in the worst place imaginable but we're pcs'ing soon.
My Mood:
woman2blame is all that and a bag of chipswoman2blame is all that and a bag of chipswoman2blame is all that and a bag of chipswoman2blame is all that and a bag of chipswoman2blame is all that and a bag of chipswoman2blame is all that and a bag of chipswoman2blame is all that and a bag of chipswoman2blame is all that and a bag of chipswoman2blame is all that and a bag of chipswoman2blame is all that and a bag of chipswoman2blame is all that and a bag of chips

Gotcha.
woman2blame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:23 AM   #13
NikkoKitty
Nerdy Navy Wife
Wow, look at me go!

My Mood:
NikkoKitty is all that and a bag of chipsNikkoKitty is all that and a bag of chipsNikkoKitty is all that and a bag of chipsNikkoKitty is all that and a bag of chipsNikkoKitty is all that and a bag of chipsNikkoKitty is all that and a bag of chipsNikkoKitty is all that and a bag of chipsNikkoKitty is all that and a bag of chipsNikkoKitty is all that and a bag of chipsNikkoKitty is all that and a bag of chipsNikkoKitty is all that and a bag of chips

"Loose tweets sink fleets. Watch what you put on the internet!"
NikkoKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:52 AM   #14
missjenn00
just warming up

My Mood:
missjenn00 is on a distinguished road

read agreed and signed
missjenn00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:02 PM   #15
knf2713
Standing Still
Getting warmer

My Mood:
knf2713 is all that and a bag of chipsknf2713 is all that and a bag of chipsknf2713 is all that and a bag of chipsknf2713 is all that and a bag of chipsknf2713 is all that and a bag of chipsknf2713 is all that and a bag of chipsknf2713 is all that and a bag of chipsknf2713 is all that and a bag of chipsknf2713 is all that and a bag of chipsknf2713 is all that and a bag of chipsknf2713 is all that and a bag of chips

Got it!
knf2713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:30 AM   #16
SammaJamma
just warming up

SammaJamma is on a distinguished road

I know all to well about opsec..the army drills it into you brain lol
SammaJamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:22 PM   #17
Heather0315
~beautiful disaster~
Getting warmer

My Mood:
Heather0315 is all that and a bag of chipsHeather0315 is all that and a bag of chipsHeather0315 is all that and a bag of chipsHeather0315 is all that and a bag of chipsHeather0315 is all that and a bag of chipsHeather0315 is all that and a bag of chipsHeather0315 is all that and a bag of chipsHeather0315 is all that and a bag of chipsHeather0315 is all that and a bag of chipsHeather0315 is all that and a bag of chipsHeather0315 is all that and a bag of chips

got it=]
Old 01-07-2010, 01:58 PM   #18
Snookums
MSOS's Army Mommy
Getting warmer

My Mood:
Snookums is on a distinguished road

Snookums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:23 PM   #19
BrittGRITS
Getting warmer

My Mood:
BrittGRITS is all that and a bag of chipsBrittGRITS is all that and a bag of chipsBrittGRITS is all that and a bag of chipsBrittGRITS is all that and a bag of chipsBrittGRITS is all that and a bag of chipsBrittGRITS is all that and a bag of chipsBrittGRITS is all that and a bag of chipsBrittGRITS is all that and a bag of chipsBrittGRITS is all that and a bag of chipsBrittGRITS is all that and a bag of chipsBrittGRITS is all that and a bag of chips

Got it, thanks!
BrittGRITS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:34 PM   #20
Corey
Administrator
Site Admin

My Mood:

If you believe that you see an OPSEC violation on the boards, use the exclamation point icon to report the post to the staff to take care of it. Thank you!

Military Spouse Support Network > Board Business > Rule book