Military Spouse Support Network

Go Back   Military Spouse Support Network > Housing, moving, life in general > Food for Thought

Food for Thought Food, food, food, more food!

Old 05-17-2012, 09:44 AM   #1
arward0811
Getting warmer

My Mood:
arward0811 is on a distinguished road
Default Baking Bread

Ok so this may be a random cooking post but need some advice haha

I started making my own bread a year ago but it's still really heavy, how i get it really fluffy and light like in the shops?

xx

God gave us children so we can have roses in December
arward0811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:48 AM   #2
montana cricket
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
montana cricket is all that and a bag of chipsmontana cricket is all that and a bag of chipsmontana cricket is all that and a bag of chipsmontana cricket is all that and a bag of chipsmontana cricket is all that and a bag of chipsmontana cricket is all that and a bag of chipsmontana cricket is all that and a bag of chipsmontana cricket is all that and a bag of chipsmontana cricket is all that and a bag of chipsmontana cricket is all that and a bag of chipsmontana cricket is all that and a bag of chips
Default Re: Baking Bread

The bread in the shops is injected with air before it's baked. Home made bread will never be fluffy and light.

montana cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:22 AM   #3
MarisaAnne

My Mood:
MarisaAnne is all that and a bag of chipsMarisaAnne is all that and a bag of chipsMarisaAnne is all that and a bag of chipsMarisaAnne is all that and a bag of chipsMarisaAnne is all that and a bag of chipsMarisaAnne is all that and a bag of chipsMarisaAnne is all that and a bag of chipsMarisaAnne is all that and a bag of chipsMarisaAnne is all that and a bag of chipsMarisaAnne is all that and a bag of chipsMarisaAnne is all that and a bag of chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by montana cricket View Post
The bread in the shops is injected with air before it's baked. Home made bread will never be fluffy and light.
Precisely the reason I prefer it, but not enough to bake it.
Water is two parts hydrogen and one part oxygen. What if someone says, "Well, that's not how I choose to think about water."? All we can do is appeal to scientific values. And if he doesn't share those values, the conversation is over. If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?

Sam Harris
MarisaAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:51 AM   #4
montana cricket
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
montana cricket is all that and a bag of chipsmontana cricket is all that and a bag of chipsmontana cricket is all that and a bag of chipsmontana cricket is all that and a bag of chipsmontana cricket is all that and a bag of chipsmontana cricket is all that and a bag of chipsmontana cricket is all that and a bag of chipsmontana cricket is all that and a bag of chipsmontana cricket is all that and a bag of chipsmontana cricket is all that and a bag of chipsmontana cricket is all that and a bag of chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnne View Post
Precisely the reason I prefer it, but not enough to bake it.
Oh baking bread is therapeutic for me....sort of like target shooting or fly-fishing. And I so prefer home-baked to the store bought stuff...

montana cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:14 AM   #5
arward0811
Getting warmer

My Mood:

Thanks I didn't know that store bread was injected with air. I love home-made bread!! Always hits the spot when I'm home from work and it's brill with a bowl of soup

Old 05-18-2012, 05:48 AM   #6
Manders
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
Manders is all that and a bag of chipsManders is all that and a bag of chipsManders is all that and a bag of chipsManders is all that and a bag of chipsManders is all that and a bag of chipsManders is all that and a bag of chipsManders is all that and a bag of chipsManders is all that and a bag of chipsManders is all that and a bag of chipsManders is all that and a bag of chipsManders is all that and a bag of chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by montana cricket View Post
Wow. I had no idea they did that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arward0811 View Post
Thanks I didn't know that store bread was injected with air. I love home-made bread!! Always hits the spot when I'm home from work and it's brill with a bowl of soup
I agree but now I have the urge to bake some bread today I wonder if I have any flour. Yummy I know what I am wanting for dinner now.

Manders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:17 AM   #7
Corey
Administrator
Site Admin

My Mood:
Corey is all that and a bag of chipsCorey is all that and a bag of chipsCorey is all that and a bag of chipsCorey is all that and a bag of chipsCorey is all that and a bag of chipsCorey is all that and a bag of chipsCorey is all that and a bag of chipsCorey is all that and a bag of chipsCorey is all that and a bag of chipsCorey is all that and a bag of chipsCorey is all that and a bag of chips

I had no idea. I wondered why I couldn't get my bread to be like theirs too.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:18 AM   #8
KarmaVixen
I'm a posting machine!

My Mood:
KarmaVixen is all that and a bag of chipsKarmaVixen is all that and a bag of chipsKarmaVixen is all that and a bag of chipsKarmaVixen is all that and a bag of chipsKarmaVixen is all that and a bag of chipsKarmaVixen is all that and a bag of chipsKarmaVixen is all that and a bag of chipsKarmaVixen is all that and a bag of chipsKarmaVixen is all that and a bag of chipsKarmaVixen is all that and a bag of chipsKarmaVixen is all that and a bag of chips

Hm thanks for the info I go crazy trying to figure out why my bread is always heavy. It obviously isn't me.

KarmaVixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:25 AM   #9
runner05
Getting warmer

My Mood:
runner05 is all that and a bag of chipsrunner05 is all that and a bag of chipsrunner05 is all that and a bag of chipsrunner05 is all that and a bag of chipsrunner05 is all that and a bag of chipsrunner05 is all that and a bag of chipsrunner05 is all that and a bag of chipsrunner05 is all that and a bag of chipsrunner05 is all that and a bag of chipsrunner05 is all that and a bag of chipsrunner05 is all that and a bag of chips

It helps if you add a tbsp or 2 of Vital Wheat Gluten Flour to your dough. You might be able to find it at the commissary (Bob's Red Mill brand), but otherwise Whole Foods definitely carries it. It make the dough more elastic and able to trap more steam while baking.
runner05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:47 AM   #10
arward0811
Getting warmer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by runner05 View Post
It helps if you add a tbsp or 2 of Vital Wheat Gluten Flour to your dough. You might be able to find it at the commissary (Bob's Red Mill brand), but otherwise Whole Foods definitely carries it. It make the dough more elastic and able to trap more steam while baking.
Thanks I'll give that a try too I'll keep a look out next time I'm in the shops. xx

Old 05-18-2012, 12:06 PM   #11
SGTShepsWife
Eye Care Extraordinare!!!
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
SGTShepsWife is all that and a bag of chipsSGTShepsWife is all that and a bag of chipsSGTShepsWife is all that and a bag of chipsSGTShepsWife is all that and a bag of chipsSGTShepsWife is all that and a bag of chipsSGTShepsWife is all that and a bag of chipsSGTShepsWife is all that and a bag of chipsSGTShepsWife is all that and a bag of chipsSGTShepsWife is all that and a bag of chipsSGTShepsWife is all that and a bag of chipsSGTShepsWife is all that and a bag of chips

I just made some....and I think my neighbors think Im crazy. I took the loaves out to my Jeep to rise ....its perfect...its warm and draft free...makes my Jeep smell like a bakery.
I always put one tablespoon of bacon grease in my dough. My mother taught me to make it that way. I love homemade bread toasted!!!!
SGTShepsWife is offline   Reply With Quote

Military Spouse Support Network > Housing, moving, life in general > Food for Thought