Military Spouse Support Network

Go Back   Military Spouse Support Network > News, Politics, and Military Info > Military Info

Military Info New to military life? Need answers? This is the place for you!

Old 01-09-2012, 03:06 PM   #1
Poochie
♥♥
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
Poochie is all that and a bag of chipsPoochie is all that and a bag of chipsPoochie is all that and a bag of chipsPoochie is all that and a bag of chipsPoochie is all that and a bag of chipsPoochie is all that and a bag of chipsPoochie is all that and a bag of chipsPoochie is all that and a bag of chipsPoochie is all that and a bag of chipsPoochie is all that and a bag of chipsPoochie is all that and a bag of chips
Default What do you do with old uniforms?

The ACU bag thread got me wondering... what do you do with the old uniforms? Either yours, if you were affiliated with the military at one time and now are not.... or your SO is, and he/she has too many, or perhaps they become outdated (BDUs for the AF, for example) or if you/your SO outgrows them.

DH has a few that don't fit him, then of course all the BDUs that can't be worn, now its ACUs (I think? I forget....) I think he just stuffed most of them in the back of the closet. I know some people donate... saw a ton at Airman's Attic once, they were overrun so I don't see the point of just throwing more their way.

I know some people mentioned they didn't like using them for bags as it was not the proper way to treat the uniform, but if you donated to a civilian business, they could end up being used in a way you didn't care for either.... so I was wondering if people who felt strongly enough about it that they kept them or did somethings specific with them... or not?

But either way, whether you like to recycle them into crafts or keep or donate, etc, what do you do with them?

Poochie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
phrogger
You can't touch this!

phrogger is all that and a bag of chipsphrogger is all that and a bag of chipsphrogger is all that and a bag of chipsphrogger is all that and a bag of chipsphrogger is all that and a bag of chipsphrogger is all that and a bag of chipsphrogger is all that and a bag of chipsphrogger is all that and a bag of chipsphrogger is all that and a bag of chipsphrogger is all that and a bag of chipsphrogger is all that and a bag of chips
Default Re: What do you do with old uniforms?

Trash because I don't think you are supposed to donate them.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:10 PM   #3
Poochie
♥♥
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
Poochie is all that and a bag of chipsPoochie is all that and a bag of chipsPoochie is all that and a bag of chipsPoochie is all that and a bag of chipsPoochie is all that and a bag of chipsPoochie is all that and a bag of chipsPoochie is all that and a bag of chipsPoochie is all that and a bag of chipsPoochie is all that and a bag of chipsPoochie is all that and a bag of chipsPoochie is all that and a bag of chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrogger View Post
Trash because I don't think you are supposed to donate them.
I wondered about that. They took them at the base Airman's Attic... I've seen items at Goodwill too.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:05 PM   #4
Booger
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
Booger is all that and a bag of chipsBooger is all that and a bag of chipsBooger is all that and a bag of chipsBooger is all that and a bag of chipsBooger is all that and a bag of chipsBooger is all that and a bag of chipsBooger is all that and a bag of chipsBooger is all that and a bag of chipsBooger is all that and a bag of chipsBooger is all that and a bag of chipsBooger is all that and a bag of chips

Stick them in a gigantic damn pile above our closet I have no idea what to do with them. All the uniforms the navy doesn't use anymore...yikes! Maybe I'll make a throw out of them some day.
Wilhelmina Evelyn 06/22/13

Please like and share my page! Crochet To The Rescue!
Booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:10 PM   #5
phrogger
You can't touch this!

phrogger is all that and a bag of chipsphrogger is all that and a bag of chipsphrogger is all that and a bag of chipsphrogger is all that and a bag of chipsphrogger is all that and a bag of chipsphrogger is all that and a bag of chipsphrogger is all that and a bag of chipsphrogger is all that and a bag of chipsphrogger is all that and a bag of chipsphrogger is all that and a bag of chipsphrogger is all that and a bag of chips

The thrift store on our base will not take uniforms. I don't think you're supposed to donate them to places like good will because people buying them arent authorized to wear them etc
Old 01-09-2012, 04:14 PM   #6
Poochie
♥♥
You can't touch this!

My Mood:

Quote:
The thrift store on our base will not take uniforms. I don't think you're supposed to donate them to places like good will because people buying them arent authorized to wear them etc
I didn't think so either. I know the airman's attic on Lakenheath had a TON when I went in a couple years ago. Maybe because only other military were authorized to use it. I dunno

Old 01-09-2012, 04:20 PM   #7
Booger
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
Booger is all that and a bag of chipsBooger is all that and a bag of chipsBooger is all that and a bag of chipsBooger is all that and a bag of chipsBooger is all that and a bag of chipsBooger is all that and a bag of chipsBooger is all that and a bag of chipsBooger is all that and a bag of chipsBooger is all that and a bag of chipsBooger is all that and a bag of chipsBooger is all that and a bag of chips

There were a ton of uniforms at the salvation army down south it irritated dh cause the people donating it didn't bother to remove insignia either. Casey saw teen kid wearing a dress top with second class insignia and he got flaming pissed
Wilhelmina Evelyn 06/22/13

Please like and share my page! Crochet To The Rescue!
Booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:34 PM   #8
phrogger
You can't touch this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
I didn't think so either. I know the airman's attic on Lakenheath had a TON when I went in a couple years ago. Maybe because only other military were authorized to use it. I dunno
It used to be that you could buy it at the base thrift store. It's been within the last 2 years that it changed cause when i was of with Shane they were all over the thrift store then recently there were signs and they are no longer carried there.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:48 PM   #9
Tiffers
Wow, look at me go!

My Mood:
Tiffers is all that and a bag of chipsTiffers is all that and a bag of chipsTiffers is all that and a bag of chipsTiffers is all that and a bag of chipsTiffers is all that and a bag of chipsTiffers is all that and a bag of chipsTiffers is all that and a bag of chipsTiffers is all that and a bag of chipsTiffers is all that and a bag of chipsTiffers is all that and a bag of chipsTiffers is all that and a bag of chips

Every base we've been to they've had a thrift store to donate them too. So we've always donated all DH's out grown uniforms. The older ones that are now out of date due to the new uniforms issues we've just cut them up, removed all name tapes and trashed them.

Tiffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:48 PM   #10
Mrs.C
Formerly Sapphiremommy
Wow, look at me go!

My Mood:
Mrs.C is all that and a bag of chipsMrs.C is all that and a bag of chipsMrs.C is all that and a bag of chipsMrs.C is all that and a bag of chipsMrs.C is all that and a bag of chipsMrs.C is all that and a bag of chipsMrs.C is all that and a bag of chipsMrs.C is all that and a bag of chipsMrs.C is all that and a bag of chipsMrs.C is all that and a bag of chipsMrs.C is all that and a bag of chips

I've seen otudated uniforms at the thrift store. Navy used to have those solid blue work shirt/pants before they switched to the current camo. tons of those ended up in thrift stores because tehy were no longer current but i don't remember seeing any rank or anything on them.

we haven't done anything with DH's. he did sell a pair to someone else for cheap cause he couldnt wear them anymore. we just took off all the name tags and stuff first.

I make custom baby, toddler, and adult items. Check us out on facebook under Daffe Designs or our website www.daffe-designs.com
Mrs.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:48 PM   #11
Pyxie78
My world <3
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
Pyxie78 is all that and a bag of chipsPyxie78 is all that and a bag of chipsPyxie78 is all that and a bag of chipsPyxie78 is all that and a bag of chipsPyxie78 is all that and a bag of chipsPyxie78 is all that and a bag of chipsPyxie78 is all that and a bag of chipsPyxie78 is all that and a bag of chipsPyxie78 is all that and a bag of chipsPyxie78 is all that and a bag of chipsPyxie78 is all that and a bag of chips

When the navy got rid of utilities, DH just threw them out

Pyxie78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:51 PM   #12
Poochie
♥♥
You can't touch this!

My Mood:

Quote:
It used to be that you could buy it at the base thrift store. It's been within the last 2 years that it changed cause when i was of with Shane they were all over the thrift store then recently there were signs and they are no longer carried there.
Well our Airman's Attic was where you got things for free if you were E-5 and under. Never saw any at their thrift store though.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:52 PM   #13
Heather
Wow, look at me go!

My Mood:
Heather is all that and a bag of chipsHeather is all that and a bag of chipsHeather is all that and a bag of chipsHeather is all that and a bag of chipsHeather is all that and a bag of chipsHeather is all that and a bag of chipsHeather is all that and a bag of chipsHeather is all that and a bag of chipsHeather is all that and a bag of chipsHeather is all that and a bag of chipsHeather is all that and a bag of chips

DH just got all new uniforms and he just took the tags off and trashed the old ones. They were so worn out that they couldn't be donated.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:49 PM   #14
Haylie.
Love never fails❤
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
Haylie. is all that and a bag of chipsHaylie. is all that and a bag of chipsHaylie. is all that and a bag of chipsHaylie. is all that and a bag of chipsHaylie. is all that and a bag of chipsHaylie. is all that and a bag of chipsHaylie. is all that and a bag of chipsHaylie. is all that and a bag of chipsHaylie. is all that and a bag of chipsHaylie. is all that and a bag of chipsHaylie. is all that and a bag of chips

All of DH's are in the closet..
I stay with him because I choose to,
every day that I wake up, every day that we fight
or lie to each other or disappoint each other.
I choose him over and over again, and he chooses me. -Allegiant

I became "Aunt Haylie" on April 3rd, 2014!
FACEBOOK
Haylie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:10 PM   #15
LivinLife
Wow, look at me go!

My Mood:
LivinLife is all that and a bag of chipsLivinLife is all that and a bag of chipsLivinLife is all that and a bag of chipsLivinLife is all that and a bag of chipsLivinLife is all that and a bag of chipsLivinLife is all that and a bag of chipsLivinLife is all that and a bag of chipsLivinLife is all that and a bag of chipsLivinLife is all that and a bag of chipsLivinLife is all that and a bag of chipsLivinLife is all that and a bag of chips

DH cut off the stripes and name tapes and then Trashed them. He did save 3 sets and put them up on the wall in the Garage it actually looks pretty good.

I am normally on my Phone when posting or commenting please forgive spelling and grammar
LivinLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:32 PM   #16
ambercrow

My Mood:
ambercrow is all that and a bag of chipsambercrow is all that and a bag of chipsambercrow is all that and a bag of chipsambercrow is all that and a bag of chipsambercrow is all that and a bag of chipsambercrow is all that and a bag of chipsambercrow is all that and a bag of chipsambercrow is all that and a bag of chipsambercrow is all that and a bag of chipsambercrow is all that and a bag of chipsambercrow is all that and a bag of chips

To be honest, I've been out of the Navy for a little while now and I still have a huge bin in the garage filled with uniforms. DH does too. We've gotten rid of all of the uniforms that are no longer in circulation though (ie: utilities, working blues/whites, etc.). We have either trashed them or donated what we could. In either case, all insignia was removed. Anything that looked "civilian", like button-up shirts or slacks/Dickies went to a local donation center for veterans. There's also an Army/Navy store near us that takes uniform donations though we've never gone that route.
ambercrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:38 PM   #17
redheadmomof2

My Mood:
redheadmomof2 is on a distinguished road

I keep all mine in a tub in the garage. I like to look at them sometimes and think about when i was in. Then i close it back up and put it back in the garage.
redheadmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:41 PM   #18
moose&squirrel4ever
Squirrel
Wow, look at me go!

My Mood:
moose&squirrel4ever is all that and a bag of chipsmoose&squirrel4ever is all that and a bag of chipsmoose&squirrel4ever is all that and a bag of chipsmoose&squirrel4ever is all that and a bag of chipsmoose&squirrel4ever is all that and a bag of chipsmoose&squirrel4ever is all that and a bag of chipsmoose&squirrel4ever is all that and a bag of chipsmoose&squirrel4ever is all that and a bag of chipsmoose&squirrel4ever is all that and a bag of chipsmoose&squirrel4ever is all that and a bag of chipsmoose&squirrel4ever is all that and a bag of chips

DH is retiring and we have years of old Marines BDU and Army BDUs before they switched over to the ACUs that we are wondering what the heck to do with beside put them away in the attic. DH has mentioned once or twice about taking a few that are still in decent shape and turning it into a timeline quilt chronicling his years in.

Duncan & Jen
moose&squirrel4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:19 AM   #19
tigerRose
Getting warmer

My Mood:
tigerRose is all that and a bag of chipstigerRose is all that and a bag of chipstigerRose is all that and a bag of chipstigerRose is all that and a bag of chipstigerRose is all that and a bag of chipstigerRose is all that and a bag of chipstigerRose is all that and a bag of chipstigerRose is all that and a bag of chipstigerRose is all that and a bag of chipstigerRose is all that and a bag of chipstigerRose is all that and a bag of chips

We rip them down the seams and trash them. Hubby said we arent supposed to donate them so I basically take the zips and toggles off so i can use it in other sewing projects and the rest just gets tags and badges off, ripped and trashed. We had to do quite a few uniforms when he came back from deployment.
tigerRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:06 AM   #20
S.Lynn
You can't touch this!

S.Lynn has disabled reputation

When we do get rid of some we take the patches off and then throw them away. But we only throw away ones that got ruined. For those that we don't throw away, but DH doesn't use anymore, we store in a plastic tub in the attic.

DH's dad has a bunch in one of the spare closets from when he was in the Navy, too.

Military Spouse Support Network > News, Politics, and Military Info > Military Info