Military Spouse Support Network

Go Back   Military Spouse Support Network > Housing, moving, life in general > Food for Thought

Food for Thought Food, food, food, more food!

Old 10-21-2011, 02:43 PM   #1
lovemyseabee
Sweet Smiles
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
lovemyseabee is all that and a bag of chipslovemyseabee is all that and a bag of chipslovemyseabee is all that and a bag of chipslovemyseabee is all that and a bag of chipslovemyseabee is all that and a bag of chipslovemyseabee is all that and a bag of chipslovemyseabee is all that and a bag of chipslovemyseabee is all that and a bag of chipslovemyseabee is all that and a bag of chipslovemyseabee is all that and a bag of chipslovemyseabee is all that and a bag of chips
Default "Love" Meals

For those of you who had meals delivered - postpartum, during illness, etc. - what were your favorites?

I kind of want to stay away from the casserole type dishes, as that seemed to be what everybody prepared for me after Maggie, and for my mom after her hysterectomy. I know they're convenient, and though I absolutely appreciated them taking the time to prepare and deliver them, it just seemed so heavy, eating that sort of dish so often. I might be an oddball with that, though.

So, anything in particular that you really enjoyed?

Old 10-21-2011, 03:10 PM   #2
montana cricket
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
montana cricket is all that and a bag of chipsmontana cricket is all that and a bag of chipsmontana cricket is all that and a bag of chipsmontana cricket is all that and a bag of chipsmontana cricket is all that and a bag of chipsmontana cricket is all that and a bag of chipsmontana cricket is all that and a bag of chipsmontana cricket is all that and a bag of chipsmontana cricket is all that and a bag of chipsmontana cricket is all that and a bag of chipsmontana cricket is all that and a bag of chips
Default Re: "Love" Meals

I never received anything like that at all. But when my mom stayed with us, I was so happy to have her doing the cooking that anything tasted good. I loved salad!!! Like a big green salad with meat and hard boiled eggs and such. It tasted so good!

montana cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 03:18 PM   #3
Keithlover
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
Keithlover is all that and a bag of chipsKeithlover is all that and a bag of chipsKeithlover is all that and a bag of chipsKeithlover is all that and a bag of chipsKeithlover is all that and a bag of chipsKeithlover is all that and a bag of chipsKeithlover is all that and a bag of chipsKeithlover is all that and a bag of chipsKeithlover is all that and a bag of chipsKeithlover is all that and a bag of chipsKeithlover is all that and a bag of chips

Large meatballs in a thin sauce with rice. That was great.

Crockpot barbecue chicken put in a canning jar with lettuce and rolls on the side. I thought that was the best idea ever to transport messy food. I never have the right containers for transport.

I received a lot of casserole-type dishes, but I LOVE them.

Keithlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 03:23 PM   #4
lovemyseabee
Sweet Smiles
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
lovemyseabee is all that and a bag of chipslovemyseabee is all that and a bag of chipslovemyseabee is all that and a bag of chipslovemyseabee is all that and a bag of chipslovemyseabee is all that and a bag of chipslovemyseabee is all that and a bag of chipslovemyseabee is all that and a bag of chipslovemyseabee is all that and a bag of chipslovemyseabee is all that and a bag of chipslovemyseabee is all that and a bag of chipslovemyseabee is all that and a bag of chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by montana cricket View Post
I never received anything like that at all. But when my mom stayed with us, I was so happy to have her doing the cooking that anything tasted good. I loved salad!!! Like a big green salad with meat and hard boiled eggs and such. It tasted so good!
Oh, good, I'm glad you mentioned salad!

I just found out I'm preparing a meal tonight for someone who just had a baby, and was leaning toward making a black bean taco salad but wasn't sure. I've made if for our family before and it is delicious.

My only concern is that they have a toddler also, and I don't know if the little one will like it - it has peppers, onion, lime, etc. My kiddos snarf it down but they're also not picky.

I think I'll go ahead and make it. I'm going to include some crackers and sliced cheese, in addition to the fruit and dessert, so hopefully that'll leave the little one with enough for a dinner if she doesn't like the salad.

Thank you!!
Old 10-21-2011, 03:28 PM   #5
lovemyseabee
Sweet Smiles
You can't touch this!

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithlover View Post
Large meatballs in a thin sauce with rice. That was great.

Crockpot barbecue chicken put in a canning jar with lettuce and rolls on the side. I thought that was the best idea ever to transport messy food. I never have the right containers for transport.

I received a lot of casserole-type dishes, but I LOVE them.
I like them, too! But once every few weeks, not every day.

LOVE the idea for transporting the messy foods!!! Genius! And, I just might make the bbq chicken for the meal I'm preparing on Sunday! It could cook while we're at church.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:29 PM   #6
Kris914
Wow, look at me go!

My Mood:
Kris914 is all that and a bag of chipsKris914 is all that and a bag of chipsKris914 is all that and a bag of chipsKris914 is all that and a bag of chipsKris914 is all that and a bag of chipsKris914 is all that and a bag of chipsKris914 is all that and a bag of chipsKris914 is all that and a bag of chipsKris914 is all that and a bag of chipsKris914 is all that and a bag of chipsKris914 is all that and a bag of chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyseabee View Post
Oh, good, I'm glad you mentioned salad!

I just found out I'm preparing a meal tonight for someone who just had a baby, and was leaning toward making a black bean taco salad but wasn't sure. I've made if for our family before and it is delicious.

My only concern is that they have a toddler also, and I don't know if the little one will like it - it has peppers, onion, lime, etc. My kiddos snarf it down but they're also not picky.

I think I'll go ahead and make it. I'm going to include some crackers and sliced cheese, in addition to the fruit and dessert, so hopefully that'll leave the little one with enough for a dinner if she doesn't like the salad.

Thank you!!
Yummy!!!! Recipe!???

I have to take a meal to a church family that just had a baby this week on the 5th and I need some good ideas!

I am a Tastefully Simple, Independent Consultant...check out my website! https://www.facebook.com/#!/tastefullysimplewithkristin
Kris914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 03:33 PM   #7
phrogger
You can't touch this!

phrogger is all that and a bag of chipsphrogger is all that and a bag of chipsphrogger is all that and a bag of chipsphrogger is all that and a bag of chipsphrogger is all that and a bag of chipsphrogger is all that and a bag of chipsphrogger is all that and a bag of chipsphrogger is all that and a bag of chipsphrogger is all that and a bag of chipsphrogger is all that and a bag of chipsphrogger is all that and a bag of chips

How nice. No one ever cooked for me after any of my deliveries so I think any food at all would have been appreciated, but I can see how it gets old. I have however made enchiladas and a pasta bake for a few people, easy to freeze and reheat so I always did two trays of each.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:34 PM   #8
Keithlover
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
Keithlover is all that and a bag of chipsKeithlover is all that and a bag of chipsKeithlover is all that and a bag of chipsKeithlover is all that and a bag of chipsKeithlover is all that and a bag of chipsKeithlover is all that and a bag of chipsKeithlover is all that and a bag of chipsKeithlover is all that and a bag of chipsKeithlover is all that and a bag of chipsKeithlover is all that and a bag of chipsKeithlover is all that and a bag of chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyseabee View Post
I like them, too! But once every few weeks, not every day.

LOVE the idea for transporting the messy foods!!! Genius! And, I just might make the bbq chicken for the meal I'm preparing on Sunday! It could cook while we're at church.

Keithlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 03:35 PM   #9
montana cricket
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
montana cricket is all that and a bag of chipsmontana cricket is all that and a bag of chipsmontana cricket is all that and a bag of chipsmontana cricket is all that and a bag of chipsmontana cricket is all that and a bag of chipsmontana cricket is all that and a bag of chipsmontana cricket is all that and a bag of chipsmontana cricket is all that and a bag of chipsmontana cricket is all that and a bag of chipsmontana cricket is all that and a bag of chipsmontana cricket is all that and a bag of chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris914 View Post
Yummy!!!! Recipe!???
I'd like that recipe as well! I tend to lean away from the heavy salads like taco salads, but we do make them, I just don't use sour cream, guacamole and all that!

Old 10-21-2011, 03:44 PM   #10
lovemyseabee
Sweet Smiles
You can't touch this!

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris914 View Post
Yummy!!!! Recipe!???
Quote:
Originally Posted by montana cricket View Post
I'd like that recipe as well! I tend to lean away from the heavy salads like taco salads, but we do make them, I just don't use sour cream, guacamole and all that!
It is so good! It isn't heavy at all, either, which is awesome! Really light but very filling.

Vinaigrette:
1/4 c chopped, seeded tomato
1/4 c chopped, fresh cilantro
2 TB olive oil
1 TB cider vinegar
1 tsp grated lime rind
1 TB fresh lime juice
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 clove garlic, minced (raw garlic makes my mouth itch, so I use garlic powder instead)

Salad:
8 c lettuce (I use romaine)
1 1/2 c cooked chicken, chunked
1 c chopped tomato
1 c chopped green pepper
1 c chopped red onion (I don't like red onion, so use yellow)
1/2 c sharp cheddar cheese
15 oz black beans, rinsed and drained.

1. Prepare vinaigrette in food processor; process until smooth. (I'm too lazy to pull out our processor just for that, so I just mix it together in a bowl - it still tastes great that way.)
2. Combine salad ingredients. Add vinaigrette and toss.
3. We've had it with homemade tortilla chips, rolled up in tortillas, and by itself. Good each way.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:47 PM   #11
montana cricket
You can't touch this!

My Mood:

Old 10-21-2011, 03:47 PM   #12
lovemyseabee
Sweet Smiles
You can't touch this!

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrogger View Post
How nice. No one ever cooked for me after any of my deliveries so I think any food at all would have been appreciated, but I can see how it gets old. I have however made enchiladas and a pasta bake for a few people, easy to freeze and reheat so I always did two trays of each.
It totally was! We didn't have any meals delivered after Rigley, so I certainly was/am not complaining about what we got after Mags was born! I think really, I just missed fresh foods with dinner after a few nights of casseroles, you know?

Enchiladas sound good right now! I might make them for us, tomorrow.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:48 PM   #13
mcouttie
Inactive
I'm a posting machine!

mcouttie has disabled reputation

In all the meals I've gotten after 3 kids and a surgery, none stand out as really great. Most were pretty good, and there were a few... uh... not so great...

What I try to do is have 2 dishes in mind that I have the ingredients for, and when I call the person I'm bringing food to to make arrangements, I just ask! "I'm thinking of making either ___ or ___ - would you have a preference?" That way, if they don't like something, they can opt for the other without sounding rude.
mcouttie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:55 PM   #14
AbramsPatrol
Counting
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
AbramsPatrol is all that and a bag of chipsAbramsPatrol is all that and a bag of chipsAbramsPatrol is all that and a bag of chipsAbramsPatrol is all that and a bag of chipsAbramsPatrol is all that and a bag of chipsAbramsPatrol is all that and a bag of chipsAbramsPatrol is all that and a bag of chipsAbramsPatrol is all that and a bag of chipsAbramsPatrol is all that and a bag of chipsAbramsPatrol is all that and a bag of chipsAbramsPatrol is all that and a bag of chips

Love the salad idea.
AbramsPatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:58 PM   #15
AbramsPatrol
Counting
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
AbramsPatrol is all that and a bag of chipsAbramsPatrol is all that and a bag of chipsAbramsPatrol is all that and a bag of chipsAbramsPatrol is all that and a bag of chipsAbramsPatrol is all that and a bag of chipsAbramsPatrol is all that and a bag of chipsAbramsPatrol is all that and a bag of chipsAbramsPatrol is all that and a bag of chipsAbramsPatrol is all that and a bag of chipsAbramsPatrol is all that and a bag of chipsAbramsPatrol is all that and a bag of chips

I should say, my favorite salad is an Asian salad with a scoop of chicken salad on top.

Mixed greens, mandarin oranges, feta cheese, crunchy noodles, toasted almonds and poppyseed dressing.
AbramsPatrol is offline   Reply With Quote

Military Spouse Support Network > Housing, moving, life in general > Food for Thought