Military Spouse Support Network

Go Back   Military Spouse Support Network > Housing, moving, life in general > House and home > Money matters

Money matters For issues relating to taxes, banking, and general money questions. We don't give professional advice, just a lot of BTDT's. :)

Old 04-07-2011, 04:15 PM   #1
Sophie GKS
Mama and Molls ♥

My Mood:
Sophie GKS is all that and a bag of chipsSophie GKS is all that and a bag of chipsSophie GKS is all that and a bag of chipsSophie GKS is all that and a bag of chipsSophie GKS is all that and a bag of chipsSophie GKS is all that and a bag of chipsSophie GKS is all that and a bag of chipsSophie GKS is all that and a bag of chipsSophie GKS is all that and a bag of chipsSophie GKS is all that and a bag of chipsSophie GKS is all that and a bag of chips
Question Pay while unaccompanied in Korea

Im trying to look at our finances for next year and work out if we can afford for me to buy a car while DH is away in Korea (airforce)

Is there a pay calculator for that?

will he get Family sep. pay? If so how much is it?

is there any other 'extra' pay he will get while there?

Do they get COLA in Korea? how much is that?

Im not sure if he will get any housing allowance for me as im living with my dad and over seas the property has to pass a base housing inspection and I KNOW the base will not 'pass' my dads house as its ummm...kind of half built and he is in the process of renovating it. So im guessing we will get no housing allowance of any kind...or do they HAVE to give us something?
Old 04-07-2011, 05:38 PM   #2
cg~gunswife
retirement bound!!
Wow, look at me go!

My Mood:
cg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chips
Default Re: Pay while unaccompanied in Korea

if you are unaccompanied- you will get

250 a month in sep pay

BAH for the zipcode for where you live ( you will need something to prove you are in that zip code- electric bill in your name ect or a signed notarized lease)

there is COLA- but it will depend on the area and this varies each pay period based on the exchange rate-

cg~gunswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:29 PM   #3
ElisMum23
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
ElisMum23 is all that and a bag of chipsElisMum23 is all that and a bag of chipsElisMum23 is all that and a bag of chipsElisMum23 is all that and a bag of chipsElisMum23 is all that and a bag of chipsElisMum23 is all that and a bag of chipsElisMum23 is all that and a bag of chipsElisMum23 is all that and a bag of chipsElisMum23 is all that and a bag of chipsElisMum23 is all that and a bag of chipsElisMum23 is all that and a bag of chips

I cant give you correct numbers because we had partial payment this month since he hasnt been there a full month... but I can tell you we received base pay, BAH, BAS, HDP, COLA, and FSH. ALso keep in mind that he does receive the BAS but a meal deduction will be taken out.

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares
the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm
you, plans to give you hope and a future."
Jeremiah 29:11

ElisMum23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:06 PM   #4
EODWifey

My Mood:
EODWifey is all that and a bag of chipsEODWifey is all that and a bag of chipsEODWifey is all that and a bag of chipsEODWifey is all that and a bag of chipsEODWifey is all that and a bag of chipsEODWifey is all that and a bag of chipsEODWifey is all that and a bag of chipsEODWifey is all that and a bag of chipsEODWifey is all that and a bag of chipsEODWifey is all that and a bag of chipsEODWifey is all that and a bag of chips

my hubby has been there for 2 months, we're still waiting for the additional pay to kick in. we get the housing for here and there, because he has to live off base there and i live off base back home
EODWifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:28 AM   #5
MKorcek

MKorcek is on a distinguished road

How is it that they can deduct from BAS when it affects the family that is left here while the spouse is in Korea. I understand that while there the Military member uses their Meal card. But it is not fair to ask the Family left behind to sacrifice their substance allowance.

So my wife is being stationed in OSAN for 1 year. What entitlements would we be looking to receive?
MKorcek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:51 AM   #6
Innervision
Super Moderator
Super Mod

My Mood:
Innervision is all that and a bag of chipsInnervision is all that and a bag of chipsInnervision is all that and a bag of chipsInnervision is all that and a bag of chipsInnervision is all that and a bag of chipsInnervision is all that and a bag of chipsInnervision is all that and a bag of chipsInnervision is all that and a bag of chipsInnervision is all that and a bag of chipsInnervision is all that and a bag of chipsInnervision is all that and a bag of chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKorcek View Post
How is it that they can deduct from BAS when it affects the family that is left here while the spouse is in Korea. I understand that while there the Military member uses their Meal card. But it is not fair to ask the Family left behind to sacrifice their substance allowance.

So my wife is being stationed in OSAN for 1 year. What entitlements would we be looking to receive?
BAS is for the service member only, not a dependant entitlement.

Sophie, You should still be able to get OHA for living at your Dad's as well as utilities and a move in allowance.

You might get hazardous duty pay for Korea but I'd have to double check with DH. Do you want me to call the housing office at Lakenheath for you?
Old 05-03-2011, 10:03 AM   #7
Mrs Huffy
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
Mrs Huffy is all that and a bag of chipsMrs Huffy is all that and a bag of chipsMrs Huffy is all that and a bag of chipsMrs Huffy is all that and a bag of chipsMrs Huffy is all that and a bag of chipsMrs Huffy is all that and a bag of chipsMrs Huffy is all that and a bag of chipsMrs Huffy is all that and a bag of chipsMrs Huffy is all that and a bag of chipsMrs Huffy is all that and a bag of chipsMrs Huffy is all that and a bag of chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innervision View Post

Sophie, You should still be able to get OHA for living at your Dad's as well as utilities and a move in allowance.

You might get hazardous duty pay for Korea but I'd have to double check with DH. Do you want me to call the housing office at Lakenheath for you?
Yes this. It is a common misconception that the BAS is for the "family" it is not. It is a food allowance for the service members who are not eating at the DFAC. It is not an entitlement if they are in-fact being fed in the chow hall.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Just Tamara...
Mrs Huffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:06 AM   #8
Sophie GKS
Mama and Molls ♥

My Mood:
Sophie GKS is all that and a bag of chipsSophie GKS is all that and a bag of chipsSophie GKS is all that and a bag of chipsSophie GKS is all that and a bag of chipsSophie GKS is all that and a bag of chipsSophie GKS is all that and a bag of chipsSophie GKS is all that and a bag of chipsSophie GKS is all that and a bag of chipsSophie GKS is all that and a bag of chipsSophie GKS is all that and a bag of chipsSophie GKS is all that and a bag of chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innervision View Post

Bryan thought not for the HDP but like Faith above, it seems like some people DO get it

No one here seems to have any clue. They say he will have to 'sort it out when he gets to Osan' who should we ask? MPF here seem totally unable to do their job properly, when you ask questions they literally make stuff up They had Bryan fill out all the wrong forms and submit it to the commander who was pissed that he wasted his time on all the wrong paperwork. We didnt find out actually what paperwork we needed until the commander called f-ing MPF apprently cause im not only 'PCSing ahead' but also going 'home' itc complicated
Old 05-03-2011, 02:44 PM   #9
MKorcek

Nice. So they don't care about the family. Seems the military does that. We filled out all the paper work once, when I was AD, for wife and I to be stationed together. The MPF at Sheppard conveniently miss-placed it.

I am concerned about the MPF here at Nellis being able to do their job correctly as As soon as She gets back from Korea, we have to PCS to Kirtland.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:39 PM   #10
Innervision
Super Moderator
Super Mod

My Mood:
Innervision is all that and a bag of chipsInnervision is all that and a bag of chipsInnervision is all that and a bag of chipsInnervision is all that and a bag of chipsInnervision is all that and a bag of chipsInnervision is all that and a bag of chipsInnervision is all that and a bag of chipsInnervision is all that and a bag of chipsInnervision is all that and a bag of chipsInnervision is all that and a bag of chipsInnervision is all that and a bag of chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie GKS View Post
Bryan thought not for the HDP but like Faith above, it seems like some people DO get it

No one here seems to have any clue. They say he will have to 'sort it out when he gets to Osan' who should we ask? MPF here seem totally unable to do their job properly, when you ask questions they literally make stuff up They had Bryan fill out all the wrong forms and submit it to the commander who was pissed that he wasted his time on all the wrong paperwork. We didnt find out actually what paperwork we needed until the commander called f-ing MPF apprently cause im not only 'PCSing ahead' but also going 'home' itc complicated

That sounds about right
Don't even bother with MPF at DM. Call or email Lakenheath's finance. They'll be able to give you a better idea
Quote:
Nice. So they don't care about the family. Seems the military does that. We filled out all the paper work once, when I was AD, for wife and I to be stationed together. The MPF at Sheppard conveniently miss-placed it.

I am concerned about the MPF here at Nellis being able to do their job correctly as As soon as She gets back from Korea, we have to PCS to Kirtland.
Whats the saying? "If the military wanted you to have a family they would have issued you one"

Honestly, the military does a lot for families. You lose the BAS, but you gain family sep pay and other entitlements. As far as losing paperwork, that happens all over the military. Have had several personal experiences with that myself. Its best to always keep on top of them.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:18 PM   #11
hthrday
Hthrday

hthrday is all that and a bag of chipshthrday is all that and a bag of chipshthrday is all that and a bag of chipshthrday is all that and a bag of chipshthrday is all that and a bag of chipshthrday is all that and a bag of chipshthrday is all that and a bag of chipshthrday is all that and a bag of chipshthrday is all that and a bag of chipshthrday is all that and a bag of chipshthrday is all that and a bag of chips

My DH was stationed in Korea a couple years ago. I moved back home with my family and we were able to bank all the BAH money. We got sep. pay but did not get hazardous duty pay.

hthrday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:39 AM   #12
TrishAFSpouse
I'm a posting machine!

My Mood:
TrishAFSpouse is all that and a bag of chipsTrishAFSpouse is all that and a bag of chipsTrishAFSpouse is all that and a bag of chipsTrishAFSpouse is all that and a bag of chipsTrishAFSpouse is all that and a bag of chipsTrishAFSpouse is all that and a bag of chipsTrishAFSpouse is all that and a bag of chipsTrishAFSpouse is all that and a bag of chipsTrishAFSpouse is all that and a bag of chipsTrishAFSpouse is all that and a bag of chipsTrishAFSpouse is all that and a bag of chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by hthrday View Post
My DH was stationed in Korea a couple years ago. I moved back home with my family and we were able to bank all the BAH money. We got sep. pay but did not get hazardous duty pay.
Same here.
HDP may come now with the conditions in Korea, but it may also depend on where in Korea they are stationed.
TrishAFSpouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:20 PM   #13
MrsFlyboy
Waiting....
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
MrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chipsMrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chipsMrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chipsMrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chipsMrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chipsMrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chipsMrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chipsMrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chipsMrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chipsMrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chipsMrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chips

I can pull up one of Dave's LES's from when he was in Korea, if you want. I know he got Hazardous Duty Pay and Family Separation Pay but there wasn't an allowance for BAS because he was required to eat at the dining facility. I do not think he got COLA either because he lived in the dorms and ate at the chow hall. COLA is to off-set the cost of things like food and utilities, which he didn't have other than internet. But I will check. ETA: Nevermind They aren't on MyPay anymore. I will ask him about COLA though.

Also, I am worried about your BAH because when you are OCONUS you have to show a lease and then you get what your rent is. If you won't have a lease with your dad, I'm not sure how you will get OHA When Dave went to Korea he had to show them a copy of one of our mortgage statements before they'd re-start our BAH and we were stateside. With you going OCONUS, I think they'll pay your housing and utilities but how do you get around the requirement for a lease? It's the housing office in Korea that will re-start your BAH when he gets there and in-processes. If you were staying stateside it wouldn't be an issue because you'd just get BAH based on your zip code but Bryan would have to show your lease agreement.

So I don't know...the housing part of it all confuses me

COME AND GET FIT WITH ME!

I am an Independent Team Beachbody Coach because I've personally used and seen *great* results with Beachbody products.

"Judging a person does not define who they are, it defines who you are."~Unknown

Last edited by MrsFlyboy; 05-04-2011 at 12:23 PM.
MrsFlyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:35 PM   #14
Sophie GKS
Mama and Molls ♥

My Mood:

My dad could draw up a lease agreement?! he said he would. I dont think they could completely deny us ANY money could they? they wouldnt expect me to live overseas on his pay with no extra OHA/BAH? that would just be mean we'd even be happy if we got the same BAH as we get here...not the insanely high OHA that you can get in England. I guess he will have to sort it out with Finance there? I can always email/fax him a rental agreement?!
Old 05-04-2011, 01:06 PM   #15
MrsFlyboy
Waiting....
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
MrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chipsMrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chipsMrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chipsMrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chipsMrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chipsMrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chipsMrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chipsMrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chipsMrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chipsMrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chipsMrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chips

Quote:
My dad could draw up a lease agreement?! he said he would. I dont think they could completely deny us ANY money could they? they wouldnt expect me to live overseas on his pay with no extra OHA/BAH? that would just be mean we'd even be happy if we got the same BAH as we get here...not the insanely high OHA that you can get in England. I guess he will have to sort it out with Finance there? I can always email/fax him a rental agreement?!
Well, yes, he could but I think it has to be approved by the housing office first and part of that approval is the inspection. Also, I vaguely recall some regulation prohibiting payment when family members are involved....but it could be related to lodging...I will have to see if I can find what I'm talking about But what you might do, Sophie, is shoot an email off to the housing office at Lakenheath AND Osan, explaining the situation (you are PCS'ing in advance, plan to live with a family member who will be charging rent, etc) and asking what you need to do to ensure that OHA is paid.

Finance isn't who handles the OHA. It's housing. So he'll have to deal with the housing office at Osan. Finance just pays the OHA based on approval and direction from housing.

I am an Independent Team Beachbody Coach because I've personally used and seen *great* results with Beachbody products.

"Judging a person does not define who they are, it defines who you are."~Unknown

Old 05-04-2011, 01:08 PM   #16
Innervision
Super Moderator
Super Mod

My Mood:

Quote:
Yes he could draw up a lease agreement and I dont think his place even needs to be inspected. They inspect housing here so that they know its safe for us and we dont get swindled. Uf you say I dont need it inspected and I know the risks you should be fine
Old 05-04-2011, 01:32 PM   #17
Sophie GKS
Mama and Molls ♥

My Mood:

I will email them

ETA anyone able to find Lakenheaths housing office email? Id love you forever and ever.. I cant find it
Old 05-04-2011, 01:40 PM   #18
cg~gunswife
retirement bound!!
Wow, look at me go!

My Mood:
cg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chips

the only thing the JFTR states is that there needs to be a lease or Mortgage contract.
I couldn't find anything related to family.

cg~gunswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:44 PM   #19
MKorcek

So from what I have read, and to my understanding....

My wife will need to take our Lease agreement with her to Korea to get the BAH restarted correct? But then how do we pay for our apt during the break in BAH? Because she will out process Nellis in July and wont inprocess Osan until Mid August. For that month are we just SOL?
Old 05-04-2011, 01:54 PM   #20
MrsFlyboy
Waiting....
You can't touch this!

My Mood:

Quote:
So from what I have read, and to my understanding....

My wife will need to take our Lease agreement with her to Korea to get the BAH restarted correct? But then how do we pay for our apt during the break in BAH? Because she will out process Nellis in July and wont inprocess Osan until Mid August. For that month are we just SOL?
No, they will restart BAH effective the day it stopped at Nellis, or the day she left Nellis (one of those two, I can't remember which). There should not be any gap between the stop and restart.

Last edited by MrsFlyboy; 05-04-2011 at 01:56 PM.

Military Spouse Support Network > Housing, moving, life in general > House and home > Money matters