Military Spouse Support Network

Go Back   Military Spouse Support Network > News, Politics, and Military Info > Military Info

Military Info New to military life? Need answers? This is the place for you!

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 02:45 PM   #1
proud2bhiswife
banned - impersonator

proud2bhiswife is all that and a bag of chipsproud2bhiswife is all that and a bag of chipsproud2bhiswife is all that and a bag of chipsproud2bhiswife is all that and a bag of chipsproud2bhiswife is all that and a bag of chipsproud2bhiswife is all that and a bag of chipsproud2bhiswife is all that and a bag of chipsproud2bhiswife is all that and a bag of chipsproud2bhiswife is all that and a bag of chipsproud2bhiswife is all that and a bag of chipsproud2bhiswife is all that and a bag of chips
Default Parent as a Dependent? How does it work?

Parent as a Dependent? How does it work?

My mother is on disability and gets a small SSI check monthly. My brother passed away and I am the only one left to care for her. She has been living with my Grandparents, but they are in their 80's and have recently been having health problems themselves. They are no moving in with my cousin so she can help them...leaving my mother with nowhere to go. It is not their fault at all and this is just so sudden, but what can you do?

So now she is living with me; however, my husband is about to get out of AIT and we are PCSing to Fort Lewis, WA. He wants to make her a dependent but no one will give us a straight answer on what to do. We have the DD Form -137-3 and the instructions on how to fill it out, but no one will tell us if that is ALL we need and I am still uncertain about what to put on some of the sections. Can anyone help????
Old 02-28-2011, 04:15 PM   #2
Tiffers
Wow, look at me go!

My Mood:
Tiffers is all that and a bag of chipsTiffers is all that and a bag of chipsTiffers is all that and a bag of chipsTiffers is all that and a bag of chipsTiffers is all that and a bag of chipsTiffers is all that and a bag of chipsTiffers is all that and a bag of chipsTiffers is all that and a bag of chipsTiffers is all that and a bag of chipsTiffers is all that and a bag of chipsTiffers is all that and a bag of chips
Default Re: Parent as a Dependent? How does it work?

You fill out the form and take it in and they will go over it. I have to say its REALLY hard to make a parent a dep. I've known a couple that has been trying for 5 years to get the service members mom on his page 2 as a dep. GL!

We were trying to do that with my mom also and we went to psd to get help with all info needed. Goodluck

Old 02-28-2011, 04:59 PM   #3
phrogger
You can't touch this!

phrogger is all that and a bag of chipsphrogger is all that and a bag of chipsphrogger is all that and a bag of chipsphrogger is all that and a bag of chipsphrogger is all that and a bag of chipsphrogger is all that and a bag of chipsphrogger is all that and a bag of chipsphrogger is all that and a bag of chipsphrogger is all that and a bag of chipsphrogger is all that and a bag of chipsphrogger is all that and a bag of chips

Well even if she isn't a dependent and if she is on ssi she gets Medicare right? If you are moving into housing you should be able to at least get her a pass for her to get on and of base as well as housing allowing her to stay with you.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:05 PM   #4
cg~gunswife
retirement bound!!
Wow, look at me go!

My Mood:
cg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chips

it is actually pretty easy to do if the parent is living with you- fill out the form the best you can and take it to the EFMP coodinator at your base- they will help you do the form

you will need your moms Social security card and her Birth certificate- along with copies of her SSI check and medicare card.

they will not consider her a depenedant for housing until she on Deers- they also will not pay to move her until she is added to DEERS- this can take 4-6 months to complete

Old 02-28-2011, 05:31 PM   #5
sweetrawk
Getting warmer

My Mood:
sweetrawk is all that and a bag of chipssweetrawk is all that and a bag of chipssweetrawk is all that and a bag of chipssweetrawk is all that and a bag of chipssweetrawk is all that and a bag of chipssweetrawk is all that and a bag of chipssweetrawk is all that and a bag of chipssweetrawk is all that and a bag of chipssweetrawk is all that and a bag of chipssweetrawk is all that and a bag of chipssweetrawk is all that and a bag of chips

Once she is added to deers it will be just with direct care, care at the mtf, she would not be elig for tricare.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:46 PM   #6
ElisMum23
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
ElisMum23 is all that and a bag of chipsElisMum23 is all that and a bag of chipsElisMum23 is all that and a bag of chipsElisMum23 is all that and a bag of chipsElisMum23 is all that and a bag of chipsElisMum23 is all that and a bag of chipsElisMum23 is all that and a bag of chipsElisMum23 is all that and a bag of chipsElisMum23 is all that and a bag of chipsElisMum23 is all that and a bag of chipsElisMum23 is all that and a bag of chips

I just read this and probably should have before responding in the other thread. More than likely, she isnt going to be approved as a dependent. You would be able to get her approved to live with you on post but thats going to be about it. They want to see financial dependence. And if she has money coming in, thats going to blow it right out of the water more than likely

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares
the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm
you, plans to give you hope and a future."
Jeremiah 29:11

Old 03-01-2011, 06:01 AM   #7
cg~gunswife
retirement bound!!
Wow, look at me go!

My Mood:
cg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElisMum23 View Post
I just read this and probably should have before responding in the other thread. More than likely, she isnt going to be approved as a dependent. You would be able to get her approved to live with you on post but thats going to be about it. They want to see financial dependence. And if she has money coming in, thats going to blow it right out of the water more than likely

this is not true at all- all senoirs have some sort of income-

my FIL has a pension- SS and stock options- his income is about 30,000 a yr-
we can make him dependant- which we will do if needed-

it is way easier to do this when the parent lives with the member- they do not have to show that they cannot support themselves or that the member is providing 50% of thier living expenses.

it just takes along time to do the process.

and OP- you can move her with you- without her being a dep but all costs for it will be out of pocket- and since your renting when your in WA you do not need to worry about housing.
she will not get tricare- but can be seen as a aspace avail at an MTF- but with being a dep she will have full base privledges- and this is very important.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:06 AM   #8
Krystle
Just tryin to get through
Wow, look at me go!

My Mood:
Krystle is all that and a bag of chipsKrystle is all that and a bag of chipsKrystle is all that and a bag of chipsKrystle is all that and a bag of chipsKrystle is all that and a bag of chipsKrystle is all that and a bag of chipsKrystle is all that and a bag of chipsKrystle is all that and a bag of chipsKrystle is all that and a bag of chipsKrystle is all that and a bag of chipsKrystle is all that and a bag of chips

It really is not as difficult as most believe. ExDH had just done this before we got divorced with his mom. It just takes a little while. I think to add her it took 3 months.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:16 AM   #9
proud2bhiswife
banned - impersonator

proud2bhiswife is all that and a bag of chipsproud2bhiswife is all that and a bag of chipsproud2bhiswife is all that and a bag of chipsproud2bhiswife is all that and a bag of chipsproud2bhiswife is all that and a bag of chipsproud2bhiswife is all that and a bag of chipsproud2bhiswife is all that and a bag of chipsproud2bhiswife is all that and a bag of chipsproud2bhiswife is all that and a bag of chipsproud2bhiswife is all that and a bag of chipsproud2bhiswife is all that and a bag of chips

Thank you all so much for your help! I have heard 99% say that it is a lengthy process, but can be done. Our hopes are high.
Closed Thread

Military Spouse Support Network > News, Politics, and Military Info > Military Info