Military Spouse Support Network

Go Back   Military Spouse Support Network > News, Politics, and Military Info > Military Info

Military Info New to military life? Need answers? This is the place for you!

Old 02-21-2011, 07:03 PM   #1
sunofabeach85
I'm a posting machine!

My Mood:
sunofabeach85 is all that and a bag of chipssunofabeach85 is all that and a bag of chipssunofabeach85 is all that and a bag of chipssunofabeach85 is all that and a bag of chipssunofabeach85 is all that and a bag of chipssunofabeach85 is all that and a bag of chipssunofabeach85 is all that and a bag of chipssunofabeach85 is all that and a bag of chipssunofabeach85 is all that and a bag of chipssunofabeach85 is all that and a bag of chipssunofabeach85 is all that and a bag of chips
Default Space A travel/Hops

Okay so I'm *thinking* about taking the kids and myself on a hop from japan to NJ.. they usually have them 1-3 times a month and it's on a KC10 and stops in Cali then goes to NJ from there. I don't know anything about traveling on military planes what I need that I wouldn't normally need on a commercial flight anything you could tell me would be VERY much appreciated.. the only thing i know is after the flight i'm probably going to need

sunofabeach85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:06 PM   #2
PammyWammy66
Wow, look at me go!

My Mood:
PammyWammy66 is all that and a bag of chipsPammyWammy66 is all that and a bag of chipsPammyWammy66 is all that and a bag of chipsPammyWammy66 is all that and a bag of chipsPammyWammy66 is all that and a bag of chipsPammyWammy66 is all that and a bag of chipsPammyWammy66 is all that and a bag of chipsPammyWammy66 is all that and a bag of chipsPammyWammy66 is all that and a bag of chipsPammyWammy66 is all that and a bag of chipsPammyWammy66 is all that and a bag of chips
Default Re: Space A travel/Hops

Don't you have to travel with your sponsor to get on a space A?

PammyWammy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:12 PM   #3
Manders
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
Manders is all that and a bag of chipsManders is all that and a bag of chipsManders is all that and a bag of chipsManders is all that and a bag of chipsManders is all that and a bag of chipsManders is all that and a bag of chipsManders is all that and a bag of chipsManders is all that and a bag of chipsManders is all that and a bag of chipsManders is all that and a bag of chipsManders is all that and a bag of chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by PammyWammy66 View Post
No but I think you have to sign in as a dependent. There are different levels such as if I would travel with my sponsor we would be bumped up on the travel list of available seats as if I was to travel without him.
That is from what I understand.

Manders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:12 PM   #4
Manders
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
Manders is all that and a bag of chipsManders is all that and a bag of chipsManders is all that and a bag of chipsManders is all that and a bag of chipsManders is all that and a bag of chipsManders is all that and a bag of chipsManders is all that and a bag of chipsManders is all that and a bag of chipsManders is all that and a bag of chipsManders is all that and a bag of chipsManders is all that and a bag of chips

There is a AFI for space A.

Manders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:40 PM   #5
EmoEli1125
Getting warmer

My Mood:
EmoEli1125 is all that and a bag of chipsEmoEli1125 is all that and a bag of chipsEmoEli1125 is all that and a bag of chipsEmoEli1125 is all that and a bag of chipsEmoEli1125 is all that and a bag of chipsEmoEli1125 is all that and a bag of chipsEmoEli1125 is all that and a bag of chipsEmoEli1125 is all that and a bag of chipsEmoEli1125 is all that and a bag of chipsEmoEli1125 is all that and a bag of chipsEmoEli1125 is all that and a bag of chips

You have to have a set of EML orders that specify if you are traveling without your sponsor and its a different catagory than if you traveled with him. You have to get the orders signed by his first shirt I believe. Or a command sponsorship letter that is an even lower catagory used for when your SO is deployed for more than a certain amount of time. You have to sign up for the roll call and then show up at the terminal for the roll call and wait to see if you are on the flight or not. Usually have to be present with your luggage even if you don't get a seat. Then if you don't you are still in the system for if you wanna try for the next available flight. We Hopped from Misawa to Seattle last summer and it worked out great. We got it on our first try because we were in the system for a few weeks. Good luck.

EmoEli1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:07 PM   #6
sunofabeach85
I'm a posting machine!

My Mood:
sunofabeach85 is all that and a bag of chipssunofabeach85 is all that and a bag of chipssunofabeach85 is all that and a bag of chipssunofabeach85 is all that and a bag of chipssunofabeach85 is all that and a bag of chipssunofabeach85 is all that and a bag of chipssunofabeach85 is all that and a bag of chipssunofabeach85 is all that and a bag of chipssunofabeach85 is all that and a bag of chipssunofabeach85 is all that and a bag of chipssunofabeach85 is all that and a bag of chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by PammyWammy66 View Post
Not when you're OCONUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmoEli1125 View Post
You have to have a set of EML orders that specify if you are traveling without your sponsor and its a different catagory than if you traveled with him. You have to get the orders signed by his first shirt I believe. Or a command sponsorship letter that is an even lower catagory used for when your SO is deployed for more than a certain amount of time. You have to sign up for the roll call and then show up at the terminal for the roll call and wait to see if you are on the flight or not. Usually have to be present with your luggage even if you don't get a seat. Then if you don't you are still in the system for if you wanna try for the next available flight. We Hopped from Misawa to Seattle last summer and it worked out great. We got it on our first try because we were in the system for a few weeks. Good luck.

Thank you! I'm just worried about seating and doing it in a military plane with two kids.. I keep telling myself I can do it I can do it

sunofabeach85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:23 PM   #7
Krystle
Just tryin to get through
Wow, look at me go!

My Mood:
Krystle is all that and a bag of chipsKrystle is all that and a bag of chipsKrystle is all that and a bag of chipsKrystle is all that and a bag of chipsKrystle is all that and a bag of chipsKrystle is all that and a bag of chipsKrystle is all that and a bag of chipsKrystle is all that and a bag of chipsKrystle is all that and a bag of chipsKrystle is all that and a bag of chipsKrystle is all that and a bag of chips

Plan on possibly getting stuck anywhere the plane stops. I took a Space A two years ago and we got stuck in New Jersey. & We were told the next flight was guaranteed.

With the seating...oh lord. I don`t think you`re supposed to give kids sleeping pills...but if there is something along those lines you CAN give them, I would. The seats fold out and really are the most uncomfortable things ever. I had to lay 3 or 4 jackets over the seats to avoid being poked by metal.

It was amazing for the price but it was just a little uncomfortable.

Krystle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:31 PM   #8
EmoEli1125
Getting warmer

My Mood:
EmoEli1125 is all that and a bag of chipsEmoEli1125 is all that and a bag of chipsEmoEli1125 is all that and a bag of chipsEmoEli1125 is all that and a bag of chipsEmoEli1125 is all that and a bag of chipsEmoEli1125 is all that and a bag of chipsEmoEli1125 is all that and a bag of chipsEmoEli1125 is all that and a bag of chipsEmoEli1125 is all that and a bag of chipsEmoEli1125 is all that and a bag of chipsEmoEli1125 is all that and a bag of chips

The plane we were on was huge. It wasn't a scary military plane it was a commercial plane so I don't know what its like on the military ones. It was a commercial plane and just the same experiance as if we'd paid thousands of dollars.

EmoEli1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:32 AM   #9
ammowife
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
ammowife is all that and a bag of chipsammowife is all that and a bag of chipsammowife is all that and a bag of chipsammowife is all that and a bag of chipsammowife is all that and a bag of chipsammowife is all that and a bag of chipsammowife is all that and a bag of chipsammowife is all that and a bag of chipsammowife is all that and a bag of chipsammowife is all that and a bag of chipsammowife is all that and a bag of chips

Make sure you have plenty of time and patience on your hands. We tried it in Okinawa.....got out and had to buy tickets to get back.
Good Luck!!

ammowife is offline   Reply With Quote

Military Spouse Support Network > News, Politics, and Military Info > Military Info