Military Spouse Support Network

Go Back   Military Spouse Support Network > Housing, moving, life in general > House and home > Money matters

Money matters For issues relating to taxes, banking, and general money questions. We don't give professional advice, just a lot of BTDT's. :)

Old 01-26-2011, 05:12 AM   #1
MGMama
Annyeong Haseyo Ya'll!
I'm a posting machine!

My Mood:
MGMama is all that and a bag of chipsMGMama is all that and a bag of chipsMGMama is all that and a bag of chipsMGMama is all that and a bag of chipsMGMama is all that and a bag of chipsMGMama is all that and a bag of chipsMGMama is all that and a bag of chipsMGMama is all that and a bag of chipsMGMama is all that and a bag of chipsMGMama is all that and a bag of chipsMGMama is all that and a bag of chips
Default Advance Debt on LES?

I have googled the crud out of this and can't seem to find an answer.

DH's LES for Jan shows Advance Debt in the Entitlement section, and an extra 2655.82 being paid to him. There are no extra deductions taken, and the code matches the BAH change code (024). Then down at the bottom where all the typing and explanations are, it says Indebtedness Due Us: 2655.82......well DUH...cause you just paid it to us and you weren't supposed to.

First off- why did they give us extra money that we didn't want, that we now owe them?? He didn't ask for any advances. Well, technically they haven't given it to us yet, because it says it will be at the EOM pay....but it's too late for them to change it. We know that money isn't ours, we didn't ask for it, and they'll be taking it back next month.....but still- WTF? It's not our old BAH, our new OHA amount, or the difference between the two- it's not a recognizable number. Makes. No. Sense. DH called finance today and got no answer (there's an exercise right now) so he's going to try again tomorrow right before he leaves for a 3 week long TDY.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:28 AM   #2
pilesoflaundry
You can't touch this!

pilesoflaundry is all that and a bag of chipspilesoflaundry is all that and a bag of chipspilesoflaundry is all that and a bag of chipspilesoflaundry is all that and a bag of chipspilesoflaundry is all that and a bag of chipspilesoflaundry is all that and a bag of chipspilesoflaundry is all that and a bag of chipspilesoflaundry is all that and a bag of chipspilesoflaundry is all that and a bag of chipspilesoflaundry is all that and a bag of chipspilesoflaundry is all that and a bag of chips
Default Re: Advance Debt on LES?

Is he certain he didn't get any advance for the TDY?

Is there any advances or over payments in the last 2 or 3 months? Could it be finally catching up?

I would leave it in your account because it will all come out at once later if it's a screw up.

One of the secrets of life is that all that is really worth the doing is what we do for others.- Lewis Carroll
pilesoflaundry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:57 AM   #3
SillyJester
You can't touch this!

SillyJester has disabled reputation

Yea, that can be a number of things. He's going to have to talk to finance about what it is and get it explained.

SillyJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:53 AM   #4
ElisMum23
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
ElisMum23 is all that and a bag of chipsElisMum23 is all that and a bag of chipsElisMum23 is all that and a bag of chipsElisMum23 is all that and a bag of chipsElisMum23 is all that and a bag of chipsElisMum23 is all that and a bag of chipsElisMum23 is all that and a bag of chipsElisMum23 is all that and a bag of chipsElisMum23 is all that and a bag of chipsElisMum23 is all that and a bag of chipsElisMum23 is all that and a bag of chips

Im betting its an advance for TDY. This just happened to us. My DH didnt request an advance but they apparently gave it to him anyway. I decided to move the money into savings just to make sure it stays away from money we spend in case we need to pay some of it back

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares
the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm
you, plans to give you hope and a future."
Jeremiah 29:11

ElisMum23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:29 AM   #5
MrsFlyboy
Waiting....
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
MrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chipsMrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chipsMrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chipsMrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chipsMrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chipsMrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chipsMrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chipsMrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chipsMrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chipsMrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chipsMrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chips

The Air Force is notorious for over paying the member during a PCS, for whatever reason. It could be that and they're just now catching it. Hard to say. The AF has never advanced my husband money on a TDY, whether he asked for it or not. $2600 is a LOT of money to advance a member for a 3 week long TDY so I don't think that's it but

COME AND GET FIT WITH ME!

I am an Independent Team Beachbody Coach because I've personally used and seen *great* results with Beachbody products.

"Judging a person does not define who they are, it defines who you are."~Unknown

MrsFlyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:40 AM   #6
Samantha H
I'm a posting machine!

My Mood:
Samantha H is all that and a bag of chipsSamantha H is all that and a bag of chipsSamantha H is all that and a bag of chipsSamantha H is all that and a bag of chipsSamantha H is all that and a bag of chipsSamantha H is all that and a bag of chipsSamantha H is all that and a bag of chipsSamantha H is all that and a bag of chipsSamantha H is all that and a bag of chipsSamantha H is all that and a bag of chipsSamantha H is all that and a bag of chips

When we first PCS'd here we had that same thing and it was our BAH from our old base.

Samantha H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:35 AM   #7
Judith
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
Judith is all that and a bag of chipsJudith is all that and a bag of chipsJudith is all that and a bag of chipsJudith is all that and a bag of chipsJudith is all that and a bag of chipsJudith is all that and a bag of chipsJudith is all that and a bag of chipsJudith is all that and a bag of chipsJudith is all that and a bag of chipsJudith is all that and a bag of chipsJudith is all that and a bag of chips

Has he been deployed? Could it be money borrowed from then?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
Judith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:50 PM   #8
MGMama
Annyeong Haseyo Ya'll!
I'm a posting machine!

My Mood:
MGMama is all that and a bag of chipsMGMama is all that and a bag of chipsMGMama is all that and a bag of chipsMGMama is all that and a bag of chipsMGMama is all that and a bag of chipsMGMama is all that and a bag of chipsMGMama is all that and a bag of chipsMGMama is all that and a bag of chipsMGMama is all that and a bag of chipsMGMama is all that and a bag of chipsMGMama is all that and a bag of chips

He hasn't been deployed in over a year, and he says they never give him money before a TDY....I think it is most likely related to our change over from BAH to OHA. We certainly aren't going to spend it- it's just going to sit in our account, sine his check next month likely will be missing that amount!!
Old 01-27-2011, 12:21 AM   #9
Kate Kashman
Getting warmer

My Mood:
Kate Kashman is all that and a bag of chipsKate Kashman is all that and a bag of chipsKate Kashman is all that and a bag of chipsKate Kashman is all that and a bag of chipsKate Kashman is all that and a bag of chipsKate Kashman is all that and a bag of chipsKate Kashman is all that and a bag of chipsKate Kashman is all that and a bag of chipsKate Kashman is all that and a bag of chipsKate Kashman is all that and a bag of chipsKate Kashman is all that and a bag of chips

Did you just move overseas? There are two forms of advance debt that can come with the process of obtaining housing overseas.

It sounds like you might have done the type that pays for part of your security deposit. When you signed your lease, you had to provide the first month's rent and also a security deposit. You had the option of taking the security deposit as an advance, but it doesn't have to be repaid until you move out. You then repay it with your returned security deposit. It just sits on the books as a debt the entire time. I think it is as easy as checking a block on the form.

Also, when moving into overseas housing, there is also the option to take a certain amount (I think it is one month's OHA but I'm not positive) as a regular advance.

It might possibly be one of these things, and either you don't remember requesting it, or someone requested it for you (wouldn't that be irritating?)

Hope you figure it out!
Kate Kashman is offline   Reply With Quote

Military Spouse Support Network > Housing, moving, life in general > House and home > Money matters