Military Spouse Support Network

Go Back   Military Spouse Support Network > News, Politics, and Military Info > Military Info

Military Info New to military life? Need answers? This is the place for you!

Old 09-16-2010, 10:45 PM   #1
J'sWife
just warming up

J'sWife is on a distinguished road
Question Dine Out or was it Dine In?

My DH told me that in October we have to go to something called Dine In or maybe it was a Dine Out. I don't remember now. Anyways he has to wear dress blues and I have to wear a girly dressJoy lol

So what is this? And how fancy is it? I get nervous when I dont know anyone, etc.
J'sWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:49 PM   #2
MrsJenS05
Our little family
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
MrsJenS05 is all that and a bag of chipsMrsJenS05 is all that and a bag of chipsMrsJenS05 is all that and a bag of chipsMrsJenS05 is all that and a bag of chipsMrsJenS05 is all that and a bag of chipsMrsJenS05 is all that and a bag of chipsMrsJenS05 is all that and a bag of chipsMrsJenS05 is all that and a bag of chipsMrsJenS05 is all that and a bag of chipsMrsJenS05 is all that and a bag of chipsMrsJenS05 is all that and a bag of chips
Default Re: Dine Out or was it Dine In?

It is a dining out if you're invited. Dining In's are just for soldiers, no outsiders. Its considered formal usually but not ballgown formal. At least from the ones I've been to. You cant go wrong with a nice classy black dress (at least tea length if you dont want to get talked about )
Old 09-17-2010, 06:51 AM   #3
*Redcamolove*
~*Engaged 4-5-11*~
I'm a posting machine!

My Mood:
*Redcamolove* has disabled reputation

Dine Out= Military ball!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im going in Oct also!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im hopefully getting my dress today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
*Redcamolove* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:03 AM   #4
Mrs. Brock
Our Sweet Baby
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
Mrs. Brock is all that and a bag of chipsMrs. Brock is all that and a bag of chipsMrs. Brock is all that and a bag of chipsMrs. Brock is all that and a bag of chipsMrs. Brock is all that and a bag of chipsMrs. Brock is all that and a bag of chipsMrs. Brock is all that and a bag of chipsMrs. Brock is all that and a bag of chipsMrs. Brock is all that and a bag of chipsMrs. Brock is all that and a bag of chipsMrs. Brock is all that and a bag of chips

We had one not too long ago and this is how ours was:
Hubby had to wear dress blues and I wore a tea length dress Hubby could get "fined" if I wasnt dressed right.
There was a certain part where the floor was open for "fines" and it was stupid goofy stuff that you could get fined for and if you got fine you had to pay so much money and get a drink of the grog. It had all kinds of alcohol in it And it stunk! (we aren't drinkers) I was a nervous wreck watching everything I did because I didnt want to make hubby get fined. You have to ask permission for EVERYTHING. There were some who made it commical though and would purposely make others get fined.
If you google it I'm sure you could fine a more accurate picture of what to suspect.
Here is what Wikipedia has to say
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dining_in
Mrs. Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:10 AM   #5
GiggleKitten
Super Moderator
Super Mod

GiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJenS05 View Post
It is a dining out if you're invited. Dining In's are just for soldiers, no outsiders. Its considered formal usually but not ballgown formal. At least from the ones I've been to. You cant go wrong with a nice classy black dress (at least tea length if you dont want to get talked about )

GiggleKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:54 AM   #6
marybeth
iraq.

marybeth is all that and a bag of chipsmarybeth is all that and a bag of chipsmarybeth is all that and a bag of chipsmarybeth is all that and a bag of chipsmarybeth is all that and a bag of chipsmarybeth is all that and a bag of chipsmarybeth is all that and a bag of chipsmarybeth is all that and a bag of chipsmarybeth is all that and a bag of chipsmarybeth is all that and a bag of chipsmarybeth is all that and a bag of chips

it's a classy affair, or at least it can be. and it's fun to get dressed up, not many people in their adult life get to get all gussied up, you know, once you are out of high school proms or college formals.
marybeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 02:48 PM   #7
MrsFlyboy
Waiting....
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
MrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chipsMrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chipsMrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chipsMrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chipsMrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chipsMrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chipsMrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chipsMrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chipsMrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chipsMrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chipsMrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Brock View Post
We had one not too long ago and this is how ours was:
Hubby had to wear dress blues and I wore a tea length dress Hubby could get "fined" if I wasnt dressed right.
There was a certain part where the floor was open for "fines" and it was stupid goofy stuff that you could get fined for and if you got fine you had to pay so much money and get a drink of the grog. It had all kinds of alcohol in it And it stunk! (we aren't drinkers) I was a nervous wreck watching everything I did because I didnt want to make hubby get fined. You have to ask permission for EVERYTHING. There were some who made it commical though and would purposely make others get fined.
If you google it I'm sure you could fine a more accurate picture of what to suspect.
Here is what Wikipedia has to say
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dining_in
I've never heard of any Dining IN that allowed a spouse. I think you attended a very unconventional Dining OUT. Typically, if it's a Dining OUT, it's formal and proper. It would be unconventional for there to be a grog bowl there, if that makes any sense

COME AND GET FIT WITH ME!

I am an Independent Team Beachbody Coach because I've personally used and seen *great* results with Beachbody products.

"Judging a person does not define who they are, it defines who you are."~Unknown

MrsFlyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 02:56 PM   #8
MrsJenS05
Our little family
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
MrsJenS05 is all that and a bag of chipsMrsJenS05 is all that and a bag of chipsMrsJenS05 is all that and a bag of chipsMrsJenS05 is all that and a bag of chipsMrsJenS05 is all that and a bag of chipsMrsJenS05 is all that and a bag of chipsMrsJenS05 is all that and a bag of chipsMrsJenS05 is all that and a bag of chipsMrsJenS05 is all that and a bag of chipsMrsJenS05 is all that and a bag of chipsMrsJenS05 is all that and a bag of chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsFlyboy View Post
I've never heard of any Dining IN that allowed a spouse. I think you attended a very unconventional Dining OUT. Typically, if it's a Dining OUT, it's formal and proper. It would be unconventional for there to be a grog bowl there, if that makes any sense

In Nathan's new unit, they had a grog for the dining out last March. They are an unconventional bunch though!
Old 09-18-2010, 02:58 PM   #9
88Mwife
You can't touch this!

88Mwife is all that and a bag of chips88Mwife is all that and a bag of chips88Mwife is all that and a bag of chips88Mwife is all that and a bag of chips88Mwife is all that and a bag of chips88Mwife is all that and a bag of chips88Mwife is all that and a bag of chips88Mwife is all that and a bag of chips88Mwife is all that and a bag of chips88Mwife is all that and a bag of chips88Mwife is all that and a bag of chips

we had a ball and grog...yeah Jon got drunk off it..it had everything including a pair of jump boot laces in it

"if you can't handle me on my worst day, you sure as sh*t don't deserve me on my best day"
88Mwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 03:23 PM   #10
IluvMySailor716
<3 Me and my loves <3
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
IluvMySailor716 is all that and a bag of chipsIluvMySailor716 is all that and a bag of chipsIluvMySailor716 is all that and a bag of chipsIluvMySailor716 is all that and a bag of chipsIluvMySailor716 is all that and a bag of chipsIluvMySailor716 is all that and a bag of chipsIluvMySailor716 is all that and a bag of chipsIluvMySailor716 is all that and a bag of chipsIluvMySailor716 is all that and a bag of chipsIluvMySailor716 is all that and a bag of chipsIluvMySailor716 is all that and a bag of chips

i am over here reading about grog and not liking the sound of THAT as for the dining out i have no idea... we just call it navy ball

IluvMySailor716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 06:09 PM   #11
88Mwife
You can't touch this!

88Mwife is all that and a bag of chips88Mwife is all that and a bag of chips88Mwife is all that and a bag of chips88Mwife is all that and a bag of chips88Mwife is all that and a bag of chips88Mwife is all that and a bag of chips88Mwife is all that and a bag of chips88Mwife is all that and a bag of chips88Mwife is all that and a bag of chips88Mwife is all that and a bag of chips88Mwife is all that and a bag of chips

girl it had all sorts of stuff in it, rice wine frm vietnam, to some sort of liquor that they have in afghan, congnac, dip (yes dip) now chewed but yes dip, a rose to stir it with, moonshine, bourbon and some wine and 550 cord in there as well...i am surprised Jon didnt choke on it, he drank 8 or 9 glasses of it...you can see it on my fb photos from the ball...i had 1 shot OMG lighter fluid is the only way i can describe how it tasted

"if you can't handle me on my worst day, you sure as sh*t don't deserve me on my best day"
88Mwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 06:25 PM   #12
GiggleKitten
Super Moderator
Super Mod

GiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chips

Quote:
You are correct that the IN is active duty only and OUT is one with both. Of the 3 dining outs we've been to the all had a grog bowl.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:07 AM   #13
MrsFlyboy
Waiting....
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
MrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chipsMrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chipsMrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chipsMrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chipsMrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chipsMrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chipsMrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chipsMrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chipsMrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chipsMrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chipsMrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiggleKitten View Post
You are correct that the IN is active duty only and OUT is one with both. Of the 3 dining outs we've been to the all had a grog bowl.

Hmmm...okay. Maybe it's just AF that limits the grog bowl to the IN's or I'm just wrong LOL!

COME AND GET FIT WITH ME!

I am an Independent Team Beachbody Coach because I've personally used and seen *great* results with Beachbody products.

"Judging a person does not define who they are, it defines who you are."~Unknown

MrsFlyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:28 AM   #14
J'sWife
just warming up

OMG, you all are scaring the crap out of me. A grog bowl.... ahhhh

I have a long black dress that shows off my arms, shoulders, and wee bit of cleavage. It is floor-length and somewhat flowy because I was hiding my post "baby" belly. Does it sound appropriate of should i post a pic?
Old 09-20-2010, 10:40 AM   #15
GiggleKitten
Super Moderator
Super Mod

Quote:
Hmmm...okay. Maybe it's just AF that limits the grog bowl to the IN's or I'm just wrong LOL!
Its probably just Army's excuse to get plastered. We've even had grog bowls here at both the BDE and BN balls I went to last year.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:35 PM   #16
MrsJenS05
Our little family
You can't touch this!

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J'sWife View Post
OMG, you all are scaring the crap out of me. A grog bowl.... ahhhh

I have a long black dress that shows off my arms, shoulders, and wee bit of cleavage. It is floor-length and somewhat flowy because I was hiding my post "baby" belly. Does it sound appropriate of should i post a pic?

No worries. Guests do not partake in the grog. I think that dress sounds perfect and actually I wore something very similar to our last one.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:16 PM   #17
J'sWife
just warming up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJenS05 View Post
No worries. Guests do not partake in the grog. I think that dress sounds perfect and actually I wore something very similar to our last one.
Thanks! I am going to wear it and I hope the night goes well.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:51 PM   #18
AFWife1029
Enjoying life
I'm a posting machine!

My Mood:
AFWife1029 is all that and a bag of chipsAFWife1029 is all that and a bag of chipsAFWife1029 is all that and a bag of chipsAFWife1029 is all that and a bag of chipsAFWife1029 is all that and a bag of chipsAFWife1029 is all that and a bag of chipsAFWife1029 is all that and a bag of chipsAFWife1029 is all that and a bag of chipsAFWife1029 is all that and a bag of chipsAFWife1029 is all that and a bag of chipsAFWife1029 is all that and a bag of chips

Hubbys OTS dining out they had a grog bowl thats the only dining out Ive been to so not much help but yes we are Air Force so they have them too.

Deployment #6 done
Check out my websites I offer landscape photos for purchase
http://cjwuensche.smugmug.com
AFWife1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 01:27 AM   #19
erh
I'm a posting machine!

My Mood:
erh is all that and a bag of chipserh is all that and a bag of chipserh is all that and a bag of chipserh is all that and a bag of chipserh is all that and a bag of chipserh is all that and a bag of chipserh is all that and a bag of chipserh is all that and a bag of chipserh is all that and a bag of chipserh is all that and a bag of chipserh is all that and a bag of chips

The grog sounds gross, but at least it's free I've been to three dining outs now and everyone is always on the edge of their seats waiting to go out for an "after party" because it's an expensive cash bar at the actual event. The last one was the day DF got promoted, and they kept yelling at him to buy rounds of drinks... it got expensive by the end of the evening. I hope yours turns out to be one of these fun rowdy ones and not one of ours with bad food, long speeches, and expensive drinks

Military Spouse Support Network > News, Politics, and Military Info > Military Info