Military Spouse Support Network

Go Back   Military Spouse Support Network > News, Politics, and Military Info > Military Info

Military Info New to military life? Need answers? This is the place for you!

Old 07-04-2010, 09:51 PM   #1
SailorsAngel09
Missing my BoatswainMate
just warming up

My Mood:
SailorsAngel09 is on a distinguished road
Angry Places that offer military discounts...

So my friend and I went to eat at IHOP today and unless you ask if they offer military discount they wont give it to you. Even if you show them a military ID while paying they wont give it unless asked. And aparently not all the IHOPs around me offer if. I might be making too much of it, but I think its crap. They try and hide that fact they offer this discount because they dont want to lose a few dollars on a stupid bill. Im sorry, but these men fight for your freedom. You cant just do a little something to give back.
I hope im not that only one that thinks this is crap. Hell, the manager even told us that it wasnt right.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:55 PM   #2
sweetpea2318
Dallas Cooper
I'm a posting machine!

My Mood:
sweetpea2318 is all that and a bag of chipssweetpea2318 is all that and a bag of chipssweetpea2318 is all that and a bag of chipssweetpea2318 is all that and a bag of chipssweetpea2318 is all that and a bag of chipssweetpea2318 is all that and a bag of chipssweetpea2318 is all that and a bag of chipssweetpea2318 is all that and a bag of chipssweetpea2318 is all that and a bag of chipssweetpea2318 is all that and a bag of chipssweetpea2318 is all that and a bag of chips
Default Re: Places that offer military discounts...

I feel the same way!!! And here, or at least the ones I have gone to with DH, they ring it up as a Senior Citizen Discount!

Got my siggie here

sweetpea2318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:13 PM   #3
brittbee0633
Getting warmer

My Mood:
brittbee0633 is all that and a bag of chipsbrittbee0633 is all that and a bag of chipsbrittbee0633 is all that and a bag of chipsbrittbee0633 is all that and a bag of chipsbrittbee0633 is all that and a bag of chipsbrittbee0633 is all that and a bag of chipsbrittbee0633 is all that and a bag of chipsbrittbee0633 is all that and a bag of chipsbrittbee0633 is all that and a bag of chipsbrittbee0633 is all that and a bag of chipsbrittbee0633 is all that and a bag of chips

yea... I think more places should offer it... what is really ticking me off is... stores are offering 10% off this weekend for the veterans (but everyone gets the discount)... it just kind of confuses me... idk maybe I'm selfish or am making too much of that
brittbee0633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:20 PM   #4
SailorsAngel09
Missing my BoatswainMate
just warming up

My Mood:

I just think its crap with most places that offer it, they still try and hide it
Old 07-04-2010, 10:24 PM   #5
Sooz
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
Sooz is all that and a bag of chipsSooz is all that and a bag of chipsSooz is all that and a bag of chipsSooz is all that and a bag of chipsSooz is all that and a bag of chipsSooz is all that and a bag of chipsSooz is all that and a bag of chipsSooz is all that and a bag of chipsSooz is all that and a bag of chipsSooz is all that and a bag of chipsSooz is all that and a bag of chips

Living on a city that functions pretty much 100% around the base and its Marines I'm used to hardly receiving any sort of Military discount. The other day I was buying something at the mall and when the guy asked for my ID to match with the card and said "oh, Military, huh? You get a 10% discount!" I was actually shocked.

I think some businesses see it as 'losing money' rather than thinking of that discount as an incentive for more people to buy their products/eat their food because it's cheaper but also out of gratitude for the appreciation they're giving. And some, specially in a large Military area like this, just figure they will sell no matter what because people have to eat or shop.

Sooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:34 PM   #6
bigal
♥ The love of my life ♥
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
bigal is all that and a bag of chipsbigal is all that and a bag of chipsbigal is all that and a bag of chipsbigal is all that and a bag of chipsbigal is all that and a bag of chipsbigal is all that and a bag of chipsbigal is all that and a bag of chipsbigal is all that and a bag of chipsbigal is all that and a bag of chipsbigal is all that and a bag of chipsbigal is all that and a bag of chips

Well our IHOP is the same way here, but the other day I went to some clothing store (Charlotte something - I forgot the name) and they actually asked me if I have a student ID or military ID to give me discount - I was pleasantly surprised!
Old 07-04-2010, 10:46 PM   #7
Kitten
Not a 'Navy Wife'
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
Kitten is all that and a bag of chipsKitten is all that and a bag of chipsKitten is all that and a bag of chipsKitten is all that and a bag of chipsKitten is all that and a bag of chipsKitten is all that and a bag of chipsKitten is all that and a bag of chipsKitten is all that and a bag of chipsKitten is all that and a bag of chipsKitten is all that and a bag of chipsKitten is all that and a bag of chips

Its called business....they're in it to make money. Thats just the way it is...dont like how they do business? Don't patronize their establishment. Want the discount and know you have to ask....then ask.

And just as an FYI, our SMs aren't currently fighting for our freedom.

I can calculate the movement of heavenly bodies but not the madness of people. ~ Newton
Kitten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:47 PM   #8
SailorsAngel09
Missing my BoatswainMate
just warming up

My Mood:

Its nice when some places ask. But no matter where I go, I always show my military ID. Its just become a habit
Old 07-04-2010, 11:54 PM   #9
dj'swifey
You can't touch this!

dj'swifey is all that and a bag of chipsdj'swifey is all that and a bag of chipsdj'swifey is all that and a bag of chipsdj'swifey is all that and a bag of chipsdj'swifey is all that and a bag of chipsdj'swifey is all that and a bag of chipsdj'swifey is all that and a bag of chipsdj'swifey is all that and a bag of chipsdj'swifey is all that and a bag of chipsdj'swifey is all that and a bag of chipsdj'swifey is all that and a bag of chips

Im just confused if your that interested in a discount why dont u just ask for it, why do u think that they should ask u to give u $$ off? also are you talking giving you a discount or your husband, because I dont mind asking for a military discount but some places only give discounts to the active duty member .

Also most places are individualy owned so just becsue one owner is kind and gives a discount does not mean they all will.
dj'swifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:25 AM   #10
Rockin_Jen
Displaced KY girl!
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
Rockin_Jen is all that and a bag of chipsRockin_Jen is all that and a bag of chipsRockin_Jen is all that and a bag of chipsRockin_Jen is all that and a bag of chipsRockin_Jen is all that and a bag of chipsRockin_Jen is all that and a bag of chipsRockin_Jen is all that and a bag of chipsRockin_Jen is all that and a bag of chipsRockin_Jen is all that and a bag of chipsRockin_Jen is all that and a bag of chipsRockin_Jen is all that and a bag of chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten View Post
Its called business....they're in it to make money. Thats just the way it is...dont like how they do business? Don't patronize their establishment. Want the discount and know you have to ask....then ask.

They don't HAVE to offer anything at all, so IMO we should be grateful for the places that DO choose to offer discounts and not that certain stores/restaurants don't automatically give discounts or that we have to ask for discounts at the places that do offer them.

AND an on the FYI. Every time I see "fighting for our freedom" it makes me I appreciate our servicemembers, but they're doing their job, and right now, for the majority of them, they're not actively protecting us.

Last edited by Rockin_Jen; 07-05-2010 at 12:29 AM.
Rockin_Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:49 AM   #11
Sophie GKS
Mama and Molls ♥

My Mood:
Sophie GKS is all that and a bag of chipsSophie GKS is all that and a bag of chipsSophie GKS is all that and a bag of chipsSophie GKS is all that and a bag of chipsSophie GKS is all that and a bag of chipsSophie GKS is all that and a bag of chipsSophie GKS is all that and a bag of chipsSophie GKS is all that and a bag of chipsSophie GKS is all that and a bag of chipsSophie GKS is all that and a bag of chipsSophie GKS is all that and a bag of chips

I am amazed how the US treats its service members. 'Military discounts' are basically unheard of in England. Im always surprised when stores offer them and it kinda makes me feel awkward even since I dont do anything to serve or protect any one. We've eaten at Ihop a ton and Ive never even thought to ask about a discount
Old 07-05-2010, 01:09 AM   #12
roxy
Getting warmer

My Mood:
roxy thinks it's all about herroxy thinks it's all about herroxy thinks it's all about herroxy thinks it's all about herroxy thinks it's all about herroxy thinks it's all about herroxy thinks it's all about herroxy thinks it's all about herroxy thinks it's all about herroxy thinks it's all about herroxy thinks it's all about her

Quote:

Bingo.. Sometimes it seems as if just because you ( general) are affilated with the military you ( general) feel entitled to discounts and such. In all reality you ( general) are not in the military at all and technically they only have to give the discount to the MM not the dependent.
roxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:49 AM   #13
Judith
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
Judith is all that and a bag of chipsJudith is all that and a bag of chipsJudith is all that and a bag of chipsJudith is all that and a bag of chipsJudith is all that and a bag of chipsJudith is all that and a bag of chipsJudith is all that and a bag of chipsJudith is all that and a bag of chipsJudith is all that and a bag of chipsJudith is all that and a bag of chipsJudith is all that and a bag of chips

Almost everywhere in CO does...

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
Judith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:54 AM   #14
USAF_Gal
Blissfully Happy
I'm a posting machine!

My Mood:
USAF_Gal has disabled reputation

Quote:

Exactly. Neither DH, or I, joined the Military to get discounts and neither one of us ever made a big deal out of it when a business didn't offer one. The sense of entitlement when it comes to Military discounts just amazes me.

I hate when people say "my SO is fighting for your freedom" and the whole sexually deprived for your freedom thing irks me. My freedoms are guaranteed by The Constitution, which was written some time ago, and the sexually deprived this is just TMI.

USAF_Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:25 AM   #15
Mrs K.
<3 Phoebe Grace <3
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
Mrs K. is all that and a bag of chipsMrs K. is all that and a bag of chipsMrs K. is all that and a bag of chipsMrs K. is all that and a bag of chipsMrs K. is all that and a bag of chipsMrs K. is all that and a bag of chipsMrs K. is all that and a bag of chipsMrs K. is all that and a bag of chipsMrs K. is all that and a bag of chipsMrs K. is all that and a bag of chipsMrs K. is all that and a bag of chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie GKS View Post
I am amazed how the US treats its service members. 'Military discounts' are basically unheard of in England. Im always surprised when stores offer them and it kinda makes me feel awkward even since I dont do anything to serve or protect any one. We've eaten at Ihop a ton and Ive never even thought to ask about a discount
Same here

For me it's a LOT just that they offer it
Old 07-05-2010, 06:25 AM   #16
cg~gunswife
retirement bound!!
Wow, look at me go!

My Mood:
cg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chips

Quote:

DITTO!

cg~gunswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:11 AM   #17
Poochie
♥♥
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
Poochie is all that and a bag of chipsPoochie is all that and a bag of chipsPoochie is all that and a bag of chipsPoochie is all that and a bag of chipsPoochie is all that and a bag of chipsPoochie is all that and a bag of chipsPoochie is all that and a bag of chipsPoochie is all that and a bag of chipsPoochie is all that and a bag of chipsPoochie is all that and a bag of chipsPoochie is all that and a bag of chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie GKS View Post
There's a fish n' chip shop down from our house that gives military discount to any member in any service no matter what country. Cool, huh?

I just wish if they WANT to give one, let us know. If not, don't. I just found out a place I patronize all the time gives 20% off! It being a British restaurant, I'd never had guessed. I mean, I'm not going to ask in a foreign country if they'll give a discount for US military. But I would never be upset, unhappy, or feel entitled to one at any place at any time.

Poochie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:34 AM   #18
GiggleKitten
Super Moderator
Super Mod

GiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chips

Its a perk but not a requirement. No business is required to do it, they are just being nice. So if you have to ask for it, then ask.

GiggleKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:45 AM   #19
S.Lynn
You can't touch this!

S.Lynn has disabled reputation

I just ask. DH has been in, that we've been married, 9 years and there has only been 1 time we haven't had to ask for the discount. And that was just recently at Kohl's. They asked because it was something new they were trying. Today is the last day for it. If it does well then they'll keep it. I'm pretty sure it won't be long til they aren't asking either. Also, I've been in the same Home Depot for the past month, practically everyday, and I can't count how many times I've gotten the same cashier. Even still she'll ring my stuff up without the discount til I show her my id.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:55 AM   #20
LadyWicky
"Batman" of WonderPets
You can't touch this!

LadyWicky is all that and a bag of chipsLadyWicky is all that and a bag of chipsLadyWicky is all that and a bag of chipsLadyWicky is all that and a bag of chipsLadyWicky is all that and a bag of chipsLadyWicky is all that and a bag of chipsLadyWicky is all that and a bag of chipsLadyWicky is all that and a bag of chipsLadyWicky is all that and a bag of chipsLadyWicky is all that and a bag of chipsLadyWicky is all that and a bag of chips

Meh, it's not that hard to say, "do you offer a military discount?" If they say yes then If then say no then oh well. I don't go somewhere that I can't afford to eat at without a discount.

LadyWicky is offline   Reply With Quote

Military Spouse Support Network > News, Politics, and Military Info > Military Info