Military Spouse Support Network

Go Back   Military Spouse Support Network > News, Politics, and Military Info > Military Info

Military Info New to military life? Need answers? This is the place for you!

Old 01-17-2010, 07:13 PM   #1
ASUchick88
Getting warmer

My Mood:
ASUchick88 is all that and a bag of chipsASUchick88 is all that and a bag of chipsASUchick88 is all that and a bag of chipsASUchick88 is all that and a bag of chipsASUchick88 is all that and a bag of chipsASUchick88 is all that and a bag of chipsASUchick88 is all that and a bag of chipsASUchick88 is all that and a bag of chipsASUchick88 is all that and a bag of chipsASUchick88 is all that and a bag of chipsASUchick88 is all that and a bag of chips
Default Antidepressants and the military

Does anyone know if being on antidepressants can make you ineligible to join the military? I googled this online but I'm finding contradicting answers. I'm looking to enlist as an officer and have been on antidepressants since last May. Thanks ladies.
ASUchick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:17 PM   #2
JessicaLee
The one and only
Wow, look at me go!

My Mood:
JessicaLee is all that and a bag of chipsJessicaLee is all that and a bag of chipsJessicaLee is all that and a bag of chipsJessicaLee is all that and a bag of chipsJessicaLee is all that and a bag of chipsJessicaLee is all that and a bag of chipsJessicaLee is all that and a bag of chipsJessicaLee is all that and a bag of chipsJessicaLee is all that and a bag of chipsJessicaLee is all that and a bag of chipsJessicaLee is all that and a bag of chips
Default Re: Antidepressants and the military

I think you can join, but you may not get security clearance. I would definitely talk to a recruiter about it, though. I mean, he may say that you'll need to get off them until after OCS. The military will give their soldiers anti-depressants if they need them. The thing is, though, that could really affect your career. You won't be able to hold certain jobs. You'll have to get medical clearance before deployments. Stuff like that. Good question on if you can join while taking them. Like I said, though, my guess is you can. They just MAY ask that you stop taking them for a while if you can. If you are dependent on them, I'm guessing it's a no go.
JessicaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:19 PM   #3
Manders
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
Manders is all that and a bag of chipsManders is all that and a bag of chipsManders is all that and a bag of chipsManders is all that and a bag of chipsManders is all that and a bag of chipsManders is all that and a bag of chipsManders is all that and a bag of chipsManders is all that and a bag of chipsManders is all that and a bag of chipsManders is all that and a bag of chipsManders is all that and a bag of chips

Im not sure.

I bet there will be a mental screening but its a good question.

Manders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:27 PM   #4
MrsJenS05
Our little family
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
MrsJenS05 is all that and a bag of chipsMrsJenS05 is all that and a bag of chipsMrsJenS05 is all that and a bag of chipsMrsJenS05 is all that and a bag of chipsMrsJenS05 is all that and a bag of chipsMrsJenS05 is all that and a bag of chipsMrsJenS05 is all that and a bag of chipsMrsJenS05 is all that and a bag of chipsMrsJenS05 is all that and a bag of chipsMrsJenS05 is all that and a bag of chipsMrsJenS05 is all that and a bag of chips

I asked my hubs since he did a stint at the MEPS. He said it depends on your situation and what your MOS will be. You will need to include your meds on your DD2807 and at MEPS it will be pre-screened by the Dr.. You will most likely have a psyhc eval wich will then determin if you are fit for duty and you will most likely still require a waiver.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:32 PM   #5
ASUchick88
Getting warmer

My Mood:
ASUchick88 is all that and a bag of chipsASUchick88 is all that and a bag of chipsASUchick88 is all that and a bag of chipsASUchick88 is all that and a bag of chipsASUchick88 is all that and a bag of chipsASUchick88 is all that and a bag of chipsASUchick88 is all that and a bag of chipsASUchick88 is all that and a bag of chipsASUchick88 is all that and a bag of chipsASUchick88 is all that and a bag of chipsASUchick88 is all that and a bag of chips

Yah, I asked my SO and some of the Marines I know but they weren't sure so I'm gonna wait and ask the recruiter.

Also, do you think I really need to put down that I've had a breast augmentation in the medical history/surgeries part?
Old 01-17-2010, 07:36 PM   #6
MrsJenS05
Our little family
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
MrsJenS05 is all that and a bag of chipsMrsJenS05 is all that and a bag of chipsMrsJenS05 is all that and a bag of chipsMrsJenS05 is all that and a bag of chipsMrsJenS05 is all that and a bag of chipsMrsJenS05 is all that and a bag of chipsMrsJenS05 is all that and a bag of chipsMrsJenS05 is all that and a bag of chipsMrsJenS05 is all that and a bag of chipsMrsJenS05 is all that and a bag of chipsMrsJenS05 is all that and a bag of chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUchick88 View Post
Yah, I asked my SO and some of the Marines I know but they weren't sure so I'm gonna wait and ask the recruiter.

Also, do you think I really need to put down that I've had a breast augmentation in the medical history/surgeries part?
He said you will be required to report that on your forms, absolutely. Having a breast augmentation will also require either another psych eval or they will include it in your initial one. ( I know). He said the Marines are HARD to get into with waivers, especially now but you should still try.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:38 PM   #7
Booger
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
Booger is all that and a bag of chipsBooger is all that and a bag of chipsBooger is all that and a bag of chipsBooger is all that and a bag of chipsBooger is all that and a bag of chipsBooger is all that and a bag of chipsBooger is all that and a bag of chipsBooger is all that and a bag of chipsBooger is all that and a bag of chipsBooger is all that and a bag of chipsBooger is all that and a bag of chips

Quote:

Im looking at going officer as well. I also have had breast augmentation, and I think it would be beneficial to add it, you never know what could happen and if they dont know about past surgeries it could cause problems

are you able to function off your anti's? I just stopped taking mine a couple months ago and started taking st johns wart instead...
Wilhelmina Evelyn 06/22/13

Please like and share my page! Crochet To The Rescue!
Booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:38 PM   #8
ASUchick88
Getting warmer

My Mood:

Oh, no Marines for me. lol I'm thinking of joining the Air Force and getting a psych eval because I got a BA? That's pretty funny, I just hated my small boobs! lol
Old 01-17-2010, 07:39 PM   #9
ASUchick88
Getting warmer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdclmom View Post
Im looking at going officer as well. I also have had breast augmentation, and I think it would be beneficial to add it, you never know what could happen and if they dont know about past surgeries it could cause problems

are you able to function off your anti's? I just stopped taking mine a couple months ago and started taking st johns wart instead...

I want to get off of them but was going to wait until the end of this semester. I just don't want to deal with going off of them when I'm taking 19 credits this semester. It's gonna be a stressful semester as it is.....
Old 01-17-2010, 07:42 PM   #10
Booger
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
Booger is all that and a bag of chipsBooger is all that and a bag of chipsBooger is all that and a bag of chipsBooger is all that and a bag of chipsBooger is all that and a bag of chipsBooger is all that and a bag of chipsBooger is all that and a bag of chipsBooger is all that and a bag of chipsBooger is all that and a bag of chipsBooger is all that and a bag of chipsBooger is all that and a bag of chips

Quote:
I want to get off of them but was going to wait until the end of this semester. I just don't want to deal with going off of them when I'm taking 19 credits this semester. It's gonna be a stressful semester as it is.....

Smart choice! I didnt go off mine till I had a little less stress...st. johns wart has a calming effect so its helped me manage. Something im sure will still have to be listed!

How soon are you looking at commissioning? I want to go Navy

Old 01-17-2010, 07:49 PM   #11
ASUchick88
Getting warmer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdclmom View Post
Smart choice! I didnt go off mine till I had a little less stress...st. johns wart has a calming effect so its helped me manage. Something im sure will still have to be listed!

How soon are you looking at commissioning? I want to go Navy

Well, I graduate in May and wanted to go to OTS in Jan of 2011. I want to take a little time off and be at home before I'd go off. lol

What about you?
Old 01-17-2010, 07:51 PM   #12
Booger
You can't touch this!

My Mood:

Quote:
Well, I graduate in May and wanted to go to OTS in Jan of 2011. I want to take a little time off and be at home before I'd go off. lol

What about you?

I still have to get my bachelors, I havent even finished my AA! I want to wait a bit till my boys are in school so probably not for about 3-4 years!

Are you nervous about it! You'll def. have to let me know how it goes! Have you looked up any videos on youtube or anything?

ETA: I should add that I finish my AA in oct, and plan on immediatly returning to school to get my BSN. just have to find a school...I have been thinking about going the NROTC route cause they pay for schooling...but not sure. My dad says straight OCS is the smarter way to go

Old 01-17-2010, 07:56 PM   #13
ASUchick88
Getting warmer

My Mood:

My brother is in the Air Force and loves it and I'm kinna excited yet scared to join. I'm more just scared of how the guys will treat me... I've been told I'm too "pretty" to join the military whatever that means. And a lot of the guys tell me that girls are deemed as either sluts, butches, or asexual in the military. I'm none of those, I'm just normal lol so I'm kinna just worried about that.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:59 PM   #14
MrsJenS05
Our little family
You can't touch this!

My Mood:

Quote:
Oh, no Marines for me. lol I'm thinking of joining the Air Force and getting a psych eval because I got a BA? That's pretty funny, I just hated my small boobs! lol

I was shocked when he said that too! They just want to be sure its not due to something like BDD (body dysmorphic disorder) or similar issues.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:03 PM   #15
GiggleKitten
Super Moderator
Super Mod

GiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chips

Quote:
Does anyone know if being on antidepressants can make you ineligible to join the military? I googled this online but I'm finding contradicting answers. I'm looking to enlist as an officer and have been on antidepressants since last May. Thanks ladies.
Officers don't enlist they get commissioned.

Talk to the recruiter about the antidpressants and what your medical diagnosis. Its the medical diagnosis that determines it rather than the drugs taken.

GiggleKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:05 PM   #16
ASUchick88
Getting warmer

My Mood:

Oh, oops. LOL on the enlisted comment.

I took them for depression.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:11 PM   #17
GiggleKitten
Super Moderator
Super Mod

GiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chips

Quote:
Oh, oops. LOL on the enlisted comment.

I took them for depression.
There are a lot of current military on some form of antidepressant that our family knows. They are looking for a diagnosis that is "treatable." For instance a treatable form of OCD won't get a second look but an untreatable form of OCD would require the active duty person to go to a medical board and have the issue reviewed. It could mean they stay in their current job, they are reclassed to a new job or are medically discharged from the military. So definately take your medical diagnosis info with you when they do a medical exam.

GiggleKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:54 PM   #18
Booger
You can't touch this!

My Mood:

Quote:
My brother is in the Air Force and loves it and I'm kinna excited yet scared to join. I'm more just scared of how the guys will treat me... I've been told I'm too "pretty" to join the military whatever that means. And a lot of the guys tell me that girls are deemed as either sluts, butches, or asexual in the military. I'm none of those, I'm just normal lol so I'm kinna just worried about that.

My daddy has been encouraging about the Navy, and obviously my hubs. I would love to commission in the USMC. but I never could. Im paranoid about how I will be treated as well..im a skinny midget girl! I'd like to think I have a pretty nice bark though! haha... I'd prefer to be labelled as asexual over a butch or a slut! The only person that has told me im too pretty is my hubs...and he didnt say it til last night when i put on his camo hat...

I think it will be different considering your going to commission. I mean its not guaranteed but I would hope you would be a bit more respected considering your an officer! I may just be talkin out my ass though

I looked up Navy OCS training on youtube...there were some itty bitty girls in there!

Old 01-17-2010, 11:14 PM   #19
marybeth
iraq.

marybeth is all that and a bag of chipsmarybeth is all that and a bag of chipsmarybeth is all that and a bag of chipsmarybeth is all that and a bag of chipsmarybeth is all that and a bag of chipsmarybeth is all that and a bag of chipsmarybeth is all that and a bag of chipsmarybeth is all that and a bag of chipsmarybeth is all that and a bag of chipsmarybeth is all that and a bag of chipsmarybeth is all that and a bag of chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaLee View Post
I think you can join, but you may not get security clearance.
this is not true. i have a security clearance. i received mental health treatment prior to commissioning. if something is so bad that a person cant be trusted with a security clearance, they probably wouldn't be allowed to join up anyhow. the conditions that would often allow for a person to enlist but not ascertain a security clearance typically involve illegal drug use and rehab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaLee View Post
The thing is, though, that could really affect your career. You won't be able to hold certain jobs. You'll have to get medical clearance before deployments.
please, please don't continue to pass this wrong information to anyone. it only contributes to a culture that has a hard enough time with mental health, and this is a particularly damaging and harmful myth. and if you do know someone, in the modern era, who has had that problem, it is important to address it with the proper people.

ok so, OP-i posted a $hit ton of stuff and my cat erased it so, trying to remember it all....

you can find threads by me to read up on my experiences thus far as a woman in the army. what i have learned thus far is everything is a leadership issue, that is no joke. i was privileged/cursed enough to do some funky b@d@ss $hit on the deployment as a platoon leader in iraq.

on 09FEB i will take command of a fwd support company of a combined arms bn, not traditionally a position given to female officers. i will be the only one in the entire BN. and although i have really suffered in the past, the leadership i fall under here at riley is worlds beyond that at campbell. my bn co told me if i ever feel like i am not being heard to let him know because it means he hasn't been doing his job. his XO, a MAJ, has helped me a lot. he is one of those ruff & gruff kinda guys, and it really seems he respects & appreciates my professional ethic. still tho, i would not wish what i endured in the past on anyone. now tho, the 1SGT i will fall in with is awesome. he seems to really "get it" and i look fwd to great things, and will take this company down range as their CO. its a truly humbling experience.

the BN SGM of the BSB in my bde is a female. she openly admits she has issues as home but work is her outlet and she is in treatment for these issues.

people have told my mom i am too pretty for the army when they see pics of me. but what are they really saying? you cant be pretty AND tough?? i beg to differ!

i have a psych appt coming up soon, and will most likely take up weekly counseling here. i take wellbutrin in the am, seroquil in the PM. and i can still do one helluva job.

if there are any other questions you have, and way i can help, i would love to be of service.

Last edited by marybeth; 01-17-2010 at 11:23 PM.
marybeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:28 PM   #20
ASUchick88
Getting warmer

My Mood:

hey Mary, I'm gonna PM you.

Military Spouse Support Network > News, Politics, and Military Info > Military Info