Military Spouse Support Network

Go Back   Military Spouse Support Network > Housing, moving, life in general > House and home

House and home Tips on decorating, cleaning, home repair, talk about military housing, etc.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:25 AM   #1
Doc's_Wife
Wow, look at me go!

My Mood:
Doc's_Wife is all that and a bag of chipsDoc's_Wife is all that and a bag of chipsDoc's_Wife is all that and a bag of chipsDoc's_Wife is all that and a bag of chipsDoc's_Wife is all that and a bag of chipsDoc's_Wife is all that and a bag of chipsDoc's_Wife is all that and a bag of chipsDoc's_Wife is all that and a bag of chipsDoc's_Wife is all that and a bag of chipsDoc's_Wife is all that and a bag of chipsDoc's_Wife is all that and a bag of chips
Default Base Housing Rules.

Does anyone know where I can get a good general list of base housing rules? Or is it more of a learning experience as you go? DH put his name in, this past week, and I'm still up in the air about whether its worth it to live OB.

Doc's_Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:48 AM   #2
cadey
Wow, look at me go!

My Mood:
cadey is all that and a bag of chipscadey is all that and a bag of chipscadey is all that and a bag of chipscadey is all that and a bag of chipscadey is all that and a bag of chipscadey is all that and a bag of chipscadey is all that and a bag of chipscadey is all that and a bag of chipscadey is all that and a bag of chipscadey is all that and a bag of chipscadey is all that and a bag of chips
Default Re: Base Housing Rules.

for us right now it was just better to live off base, but i think dh is going to put our names on the list for next year....dont know yet after our lease is up here were going to look around we want to rent a small house instead of an apartment
cadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:11 AM   #3
Navygirl8407
Some beach, somewhere.
Wow, look at me go!

My Mood:
Navygirl8407 is all that and a bag of chipsNavygirl8407 is all that and a bag of chipsNavygirl8407 is all that and a bag of chipsNavygirl8407 is all that and a bag of chipsNavygirl8407 is all that and a bag of chipsNavygirl8407 is all that and a bag of chipsNavygirl8407 is all that and a bag of chipsNavygirl8407 is all that and a bag of chipsNavygirl8407 is all that and a bag of chipsNavygirl8407 is all that and a bag of chipsNavygirl8407 is all that and a bag of chips

We live on base..also because we are Oconus. I know the grass is a general rule. Ours cannot be above 4 inches. Here we can paint our house..not every base allows that though. We can basically do with the house what we want on the inside....for outside decorations it is a minimum and for the holidays they have timelines as to when you can put stuff outside..like lights and what not.

And I hope you see things that startle you.
I hope you feel things you never felt before.
I hope you meet people with a different point of view.
I hope you live a life you're proud of.
If you find that you're not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again. 
Navygirl8407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:21 AM   #4
TawnyTimber
Mindless Mutterer
Wow, look at me go!

My Mood:
TawnyTimber is all that and a bag of chipsTawnyTimber is all that and a bag of chipsTawnyTimber is all that and a bag of chipsTawnyTimber is all that and a bag of chipsTawnyTimber is all that and a bag of chipsTawnyTimber is all that and a bag of chipsTawnyTimber is all that and a bag of chipsTawnyTimber is all that and a bag of chipsTawnyTimber is all that and a bag of chipsTawnyTimber is all that and a bag of chipsTawnyTimber is all that and a bag of chips

I do believe the rules at each installation are different, based on who owns the housing and of course, different states have different rules as well.

I do believe that most installations have some pretty basic rules

Most have a two pet limit and certain breed are not allowed
you can't sublet
if you go away for over a certain period of time, you have to relinquish housing (say he deploys and you go home, you can't leave the housing unit empty for 12 months)

Here at Carson, you can paint as long as you paint it back before you leave. I was going through our GMH/Balfour Beaty Handbook yesterday. Most of what is there is pretty common sense, even for someone like me who has never rented before Government housing.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:51 AM   #5
lovinmysoldier68
Welcome home!!
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
lovinmysoldier68 is all that and a bag of chipslovinmysoldier68 is all that and a bag of chipslovinmysoldier68 is all that and a bag of chipslovinmysoldier68 is all that and a bag of chipslovinmysoldier68 is all that and a bag of chipslovinmysoldier68 is all that and a bag of chipslovinmysoldier68 is all that and a bag of chipslovinmysoldier68 is all that and a bag of chipslovinmysoldier68 is all that and a bag of chipslovinmysoldier68 is all that and a bag of chipslovinmysoldier68 is all that and a bag of chips

It depends on where you are at. Go to your installations website and find the rules for housing.

http://www.goodreads.com/mrsmoser68
http://pinterest.com/christinamoser/
lovinmysoldier68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:59 AM   #6
ManytheMiles
Wow, look at me go!

My Mood:
ManytheMiles is all that and a bag of chipsManytheMiles is all that and a bag of chipsManytheMiles is all that and a bag of chipsManytheMiles is all that and a bag of chipsManytheMiles is all that and a bag of chipsManytheMiles is all that and a bag of chipsManytheMiles is all that and a bag of chipsManytheMiles is all that and a bag of chipsManytheMiles is all that and a bag of chipsManytheMiles is all that and a bag of chipsManytheMiles is all that and a bag of chips

My DB Lived off base with some roommates and really enjoyed it. It was a gated condo complex that had a lot of soldiers living there already, but it wasn't specifically for them, it had civilians living there too. I would ask (...somebody, I wouldn't know who) if they have something set up for soldiers already. I am not sure if it was set up for them by their base, or if it was just word of mouth. This MAY have been because it was Savannah GA , And some parts just are not safe, but I could be wrong. Hope that helps

ManytheMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:40 AM   #7
JessicaLee
The one and only
Wow, look at me go!

My Mood:
JessicaLee is all that and a bag of chipsJessicaLee is all that and a bag of chipsJessicaLee is all that and a bag of chipsJessicaLee is all that and a bag of chipsJessicaLee is all that and a bag of chipsJessicaLee is all that and a bag of chipsJessicaLee is all that and a bag of chipsJessicaLee is all that and a bag of chipsJessicaLee is all that and a bag of chipsJessicaLee is all that and a bag of chipsJessicaLee is all that and a bag of chips

I live on base and honestly I feel like we have fewer rules than most apartment complexes in the area. I'm at Fort Stewart. Like others said, each post is different.
JessicaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:42 AM   #8
Manders
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
Manders is all that and a bag of chipsManders is all that and a bag of chipsManders is all that and a bag of chipsManders is all that and a bag of chipsManders is all that and a bag of chipsManders is all that and a bag of chipsManders is all that and a bag of chipsManders is all that and a bag of chipsManders is all that and a bag of chipsManders is all that and a bag of chipsManders is all that and a bag of chips

The base gives you the rules when you move in
Go to the office and ask for a printout I am sure they would give you some.

Let see if I can think of anything.

2 pets per home
some will allow you to paint you may have to paint it back before you leave
grass has to be cut every week and the base we were at we would get a note if its to high and then you had to take it to your shirt.
No painting the outside
Trim the yard no weeds in the cracks of the sidewalk

It will depend base to base and really they arent hard but I find hard it the cleaning part of base housing when you move out. Not that its hard it just a lot of work and I feel as if it had to be perfect.

Manders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:46 AM   #9
LadyWicky
"Batman" of WonderPets
You can't touch this!

LadyWicky is all that and a bag of chipsLadyWicky is all that and a bag of chipsLadyWicky is all that and a bag of chipsLadyWicky is all that and a bag of chipsLadyWicky is all that and a bag of chipsLadyWicky is all that and a bag of chipsLadyWicky is all that and a bag of chipsLadyWicky is all that and a bag of chipsLadyWicky is all that and a bag of chipsLadyWicky is all that and a bag of chipsLadyWicky is all that and a bag of chips

What post are you moving to?

LadyWicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:44 AM   #10
soulikifar
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
soulikifar is all that and a bag of chipssoulikifar is all that and a bag of chipssoulikifar is all that and a bag of chipssoulikifar is all that and a bag of chipssoulikifar is all that and a bag of chipssoulikifar is all that and a bag of chipssoulikifar is all that and a bag of chipssoulikifar is all that and a bag of chipssoulikifar is all that and a bag of chipssoulikifar is all that and a bag of chipssoulikifar is all that and a bag of chips

When we lived at Fort Leonard Wood, we had a two pet limit and could paint as long as we painted the walls back to their original color before we moved... next to that though, it wasn't horribly strict. They had fence rules, etc. but we didn't have dogs at the time (we had cats) so we didn't worry about it.

Here at Fort Carson, we don't live in post, so I don't really know.

Women are like bags of tea, you have no idea how strong they are until they are in hot water -Unknown

Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later. -Og Mandino

Love is simply the name for the desire and the pursuit of the whole. -Aristophanes
soulikifar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:52 AM   #11
sweetheart09
loving the sun
I'm a posting machine!

My Mood:
sweetheart09 is all that and a bag of chipssweetheart09 is all that and a bag of chipssweetheart09 is all that and a bag of chipssweetheart09 is all that and a bag of chipssweetheart09 is all that and a bag of chipssweetheart09 is all that and a bag of chipssweetheart09 is all that and a bag of chipssweetheart09 is all that and a bag of chipssweetheart09 is all that and a bag of chipssweetheart09 is all that and a bag of chipssweetheart09 is all that and a bag of chips

I know for my DH , he didn't want to live on post because if you have a personal firearm, you have to give it to the MPs to place in the base armory because you can't have it in your own house. He also decided that it was better to live off post than on post financially. Our landlord is active duty as well so it's a great thing for us.

Here at Hood, you can't have certain breeds of animals.

Pets at Family Housing Quarters

The following rules apply to pet owners residing in Fort Hood family housing quarters. These rules are covered in the FH 210-48, Installation Housing Community Standards. These rules are established to protect the welfare of all residents and pets, and to maintain neat and sanitary conditions in the housing areas.
  • All dogs and cats at quarters must be registered with Installation Veterinary Services.
  • No more than three animals are authorized per family.
  • Report stray animals to the Military Police Desk Sergeant, 287-5019.
  • Pets must be provided a shelter and water if maintained out of doors. Pet houses may be placed in the backyard not more than 50 feet from the rear of the quarters and must be enclosed in a fence. The structure will be of sound construction, painted, neat in appearance, cleaned of waste daily, kept free of ticks, fleas and other parasites. Occupants are responsible to restore damaged lawns caused by pets, and the placement of pet houses, prior to clearing quarters.
  • Pet owners may take deceased pets to the sanitary landfill.
  • Pet owners are strongly encouraged to obtain insurance to cover pet damage or injury to persons.
  • Animal waste will be cleaned up daily.
  • Sanitary conditions must be continually maintained, both inside and outside the quarters.
  • Dog owners will immediately clean up animal waste when walking their dogs outside their yard.
Occupants may not do the following:
  • Maintain pets for sale
  • Tie animals to trees or stakes
  • Keep annoying, unpleasant, obnoxious, or vicious animals
  • Allow animals to run loose in the housing areas
  • Permit interference with service personnel, maintenance personnel, mail carriers, etc.
  • Allow pets to defecate/urinate in neighbors’ yards or playgrounds
  • Leave pets unattended on balconies
Occupants may sell pets on a one-time basis, walk pets on leashes, and leave pets outdoors unattended in a fenced enclosure.

Here are other rules:
www.hood.army.mil/dpw/Housing/Files/FH210-48.pdf

Last edited by sweetheart09; 01-10-2010 at 08:05 AM.
sweetheart09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:30 PM   #12
Doc's_Wife
Wow, look at me go!

My Mood:
Doc's_Wife is all that and a bag of chipsDoc's_Wife is all that and a bag of chipsDoc's_Wife is all that and a bag of chipsDoc's_Wife is all that and a bag of chipsDoc's_Wife is all that and a bag of chipsDoc's_Wife is all that and a bag of chipsDoc's_Wife is all that and a bag of chipsDoc's_Wife is all that and a bag of chipsDoc's_Wife is all that and a bag of chipsDoc's_Wife is all that and a bag of chipsDoc's_Wife is all that and a bag of chips

We're stationed at Camp Lejeune, NC.

I originally wanted to live off base, and had an apartment complex picked out, and was beginning to prepare for it, and sent him a link to the brochure and complex website. After about two days, he called and told me he requested that his chief put his name on the base housing list.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:48 PM   #13
MackenziesMommy522
Mackenzie <3
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
MackenziesMommy522 is all that and a bag of chipsMackenziesMommy522 is all that and a bag of chipsMackenziesMommy522 is all that and a bag of chipsMackenziesMommy522 is all that and a bag of chipsMackenziesMommy522 is all that and a bag of chipsMackenziesMommy522 is all that and a bag of chipsMackenziesMommy522 is all that and a bag of chipsMackenziesMommy522 is all that and a bag of chipsMackenziesMommy522 is all that and a bag of chipsMackenziesMommy522 is all that and a bag of chipsMackenziesMommy522 is all that and a bag of chips

There should be rules on the website for your particular base housing.
MackenziesMommy522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 12:20 AM   #14
Sooz
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
Sooz is all that and a bag of chipsSooz is all that and a bag of chipsSooz is all that and a bag of chipsSooz is all that and a bag of chipsSooz is all that and a bag of chipsSooz is all that and a bag of chipsSooz is all that and a bag of chipsSooz is all that and a bag of chipsSooz is all that and a bag of chipsSooz is all that and a bag of chipsSooz is all that and a bag of chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadac's_Girl8404 View Post
We're stationed at Camp Lejeune, NC.

I originally wanted to live off base, and had an apartment complex picked out, and was beginning to prepare for it, and sent him a link to the brochure and complex website. After about two days, he called and told me he requested that his chief put his name on the base housing list.

We live on base in Lejeune. Housing is privatized, so there are some pretty peculiar rules.

The 2 pet per household is true, and there is a ban on a few dog breeds. All animals must be registered with housing and microchipped. Here you can't leave a pet outdoors unattended even if you do have a fenced yard.

You cannot leave the house unattended for more than 30 days. They do allow it up to 60 days, but that requires written justification. You cannot have long term guests, and cannot sublet. The only people allowed to live in the house will be your DH's dependents, no one else.

They do yard work, aka mowing the grass. If weeds grow between mowing dates, however, you have to take care of them. You can plant your own little garden, but you have to tend to it also. You can paint, but have to repaint upon move out unless you use some sort of white/off-white color.

There's some more stuff but I can't think of it at the top of my head. HTH!

Sooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:26 AM   #15
LadyWicky
"Batman" of WonderPets
You can't touch this!

LadyWicky is all that and a bag of chipsLadyWicky is all that and a bag of chipsLadyWicky is all that and a bag of chipsLadyWicky is all that and a bag of chipsLadyWicky is all that and a bag of chipsLadyWicky is all that and a bag of chipsLadyWicky is all that and a bag of chipsLadyWicky is all that and a bag of chipsLadyWicky is all that and a bag of chipsLadyWicky is all that and a bag of chipsLadyWicky is all that and a bag of chips

http://www.atlanticmcc.com/

Here's the website. The same company that owns the houses on lejeune owns the ones here at CP.

http://www.atlanticmcc.com/forms

About half way down are the residents forms. I think they will give you some answers. Sooz hit on a lot of the rules, but there are more.

LadyWicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:43 PM   #16
Doc's_Wife
Wow, look at me go!

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooz View Post

We live on base in Lejeune. Housing is privatized, so there are some pretty peculiar rules.

The 2 pet per household is true, and there is a ban on a few dog breeds. All animals must be registered with housing and microchipped. Here you can't leave a pet outdoors unattended even if you do have a fenced yard.

You cannot leave the house unattended for more than 30 days. They do allow it up to 60 days, but that requires written justification. You cannot have long term guests, and cannot sublet. The only people allowed to live in the house will be your DH's dependents, no one else.

They do yard work, aka mowing the grass. If weeds grow between mowing dates, however, you have to take care of them. You can plant your own little garden, but you have to tend to it also. You can paint, but have to repaint upon move out unless you use some sort of white/off-white color.

There's some more stuff but I can't think of it at the top of my head. HTH!

Thanks! I'm a little more excited knowing I can paint. I hate looking at white walls. With the 30-60 day rule, what if you want to go home for a deployment, etc? Do they revoke your on base housing privileges? And I'm also really glad they take care of lawns. I hate mowing the lawn, and I think it might be difficult to get DH to do it.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:56 PM   #17
88Mwife
You can't touch this!

88Mwife is all that and a bag of chips88Mwife is all that and a bag of chips88Mwife is all that and a bag of chips88Mwife is all that and a bag of chips88Mwife is all that and a bag of chips88Mwife is all that and a bag of chips88Mwife is all that and a bag of chips88Mwife is all that and a bag of chips88Mwife is all that and a bag of chips88Mwife is all that and a bag of chips88Mwife is all that and a bag of chips

I dunno about marine bases, but here at Ft. Campbell if you go home for a deployment you have to give up your on post housing..housing can't sit empty for more than a month at a time..

"if you can't handle me on my worst day, you sure as sh*t don't deserve me on my best day"
88Mwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 02:36 AM   #18
Sooz
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
Sooz is all that and a bag of chipsSooz is all that and a bag of chipsSooz is all that and a bag of chipsSooz is all that and a bag of chipsSooz is all that and a bag of chipsSooz is all that and a bag of chipsSooz is all that and a bag of chipsSooz is all that and a bag of chipsSooz is all that and a bag of chipsSooz is all that and a bag of chipsSooz is all that and a bag of chips

Quote:
Thanks! I'm a little more excited knowing I can paint. I hate looking at white walls. With the 30-60 day rule, what if you want to go home for a deployment, etc? Do they revoke your on base housing privileges? And I'm also really glad they take care of lawns. I hate mowing the lawn, and I think it might be difficult to get DH to do it.
Being absent for over 60 days will make you lose your unit. So if you'd like to go home for the duration of his deployment, you'd have to move out first. Also, I'm pretty sure they don't allow you to be gone for 60 days, then come back for a week just so you can keep the house, then gone again. It's all in the lease contract, but I left my copy at home and I'm currently away. Gotta keep in mind that if you move into base housing, you sign a 6-month lease (this is for Lejeune) and then it goes by monthly. If you decide to move out before the 6 months are up, you have to pay a penalty. There are exceptions, but going home for the length of a deployment isn't one of them.

As for the painting, they do allow it... BUT they are pretty meticulous about how you turn the house back in when you move out, so you have to paint it back, and you have to do a good job.

As for the plus sides, which is why we decided to stay on base even when we had planed for it to be a 6-month thing, maintenance really works well, and we're really close to base so DH can come home for lunch more often than not, and it is safer than some parts of town.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:47 AM   #19
Doc's_Wife
Wow, look at me go!

My Mood:

How is the Gum Tree area? There was an apartment complex I was looking into, before DH put us on the list, that was around there.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:18 PM   #20
Sooz
You can't touch this!

My Mood:

Quote:
How is the Gum Tree area? There was an apartment complex I was looking into, before DH put us on the list, that was around there.
Gum Branch Road? There are some ok apartments down there, and some not so much. One of DH's Marines lived at Cardinal Village which is on Gum Branch and he had a lot of landlord issues. I was there once and at least his unit wasn't very well maintained (not dirty, more like permanent damage) and smelled like mold.

Military Spouse Support Network > Housing, moving, life in general > House and home