Military Spouse Support Network

Go Back   Military Spouse Support Network > News, Politics, and Military Info > Military Info

Military Info New to military life? Need answers? This is the place for you!

Old 01-08-2010, 04:33 PM   #1
HisCupcake

HisCupcake is on a distinguished road
Default health insurance after separation.

Does anyone know any information about receiving health insurance after separation. My DH is getting out of the marines in about 5 months and we dont want to be without health insurance, does the marines offer some type of insurance to buy into when marines separate? Maybe someone can point me in the right direction?
HisCupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:38 PM   #2
girlvet
something green
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
girlvet is all that and a bag of chipsgirlvet is all that and a bag of chipsgirlvet is all that and a bag of chipsgirlvet is all that and a bag of chipsgirlvet is all that and a bag of chipsgirlvet is all that and a bag of chipsgirlvet is all that and a bag of chipsgirlvet is all that and a bag of chipsgirlvet is all that and a bag of chipsgirlvet is all that and a bag of chipsgirlvet is all that and a bag of chips
Default Re: health insurance after separation.

IF he is just separating, than no, the military does not offer anything like that. He can purchase private health insurance if he doesn't have a job that offers it. I am sure he will be offered the opportunity to attend a briefing that will explain it all, but he can always contact your local tricare office.

Jennifer
girlvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:40 PM   #3
HisCupcake

HisCupcake is on a distinguished road

Thx
HisCupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:54 PM   #4
moni_gail
ELIGE MAGISTRUM
Site Admin

My Mood:
moni_gail is all that and a bag of chipsmoni_gail is all that and a bag of chipsmoni_gail is all that and a bag of chipsmoni_gail is all that and a bag of chipsmoni_gail is all that and a bag of chipsmoni_gail is all that and a bag of chipsmoni_gail is all that and a bag of chipsmoni_gail is all that and a bag of chipsmoni_gail is all that and a bag of chipsmoni_gail is all that and a bag of chipsmoni_gail is all that and a bag of chips

When Jayson initially separated from AD AF he was given the option to pay for an additional two or three months (don't remember if it was 60 or 90 days) of TriCare coverage. We didn't utilize this because he was going ANG and would pay to receive TriCare Reserve Select coverage from them.

When DH began ETSing, he went through TAPS (Transition Assistance Program), which was for the sole purpose of making him aware of available benefits for veterans and they even helped with resume writing. It was during his TAPS briefing that they let him know that he could extend his TriCare coverage, if necessary.

I don't know that the Marines will call it by the same, but it's funded by the VA, so he should expect to sit through something similar.

We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are.
moni_gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:55 PM   #5
dlearyous
livin, laughin, lovin
Getting warmer

dlearyous is all that and a bag of chipsdlearyous is all that and a bag of chipsdlearyous is all that and a bag of chipsdlearyous is all that and a bag of chipsdlearyous is all that and a bag of chipsdlearyous is all that and a bag of chipsdlearyous is all that and a bag of chipsdlearyous is all that and a bag of chipsdlearyous is all that and a bag of chipsdlearyous is all that and a bag of chipsdlearyous is all that and a bag of chips

You fall under Tricare in the Marines too, right? If so, there are two programs for those separating from military service.

Transitional Assistance Management Program (TAMP) is for those being involuntarily separated and covers 180 days.

Continued Health Care Benefit Program (CHCBP) offers premium-based temporary transitional health care coverage for 18-36 months after Tricare eligibility ends. www.humana-military.com or (800)444-5445.

Hope this helps!
Old 01-10-2010, 06:58 AM   #6
LadyWicky
"Batman" of WonderPets
You can't touch this!

LadyWicky is all that and a bag of chipsLadyWicky is all that and a bag of chipsLadyWicky is all that and a bag of chipsLadyWicky is all that and a bag of chipsLadyWicky is all that and a bag of chipsLadyWicky is all that and a bag of chipsLadyWicky is all that and a bag of chipsLadyWicky is all that and a bag of chipsLadyWicky is all that and a bag of chipsLadyWicky is all that and a bag of chipsLadyWicky is all that and a bag of chips

He should be taking a class called SEPS and TAPS before he gets out (all marines here are required to take it before they are out.) The class talks about all kinds of stuff about getting out including insurance related topics. If he hasn't already scheduled himself for this class, he needs to do so ASAP.

LadyWicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:54 AM   #7
cg~gunswife
retirement bound!!
Wow, look at me go!

My Mood:
cg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chips

they offer a cobra type insurance- it is very very expensive.

about 1200 dollars every three months for a family.

if you use the links from the PP you can get more information.

GL

cg~gunswife is offline   Reply With Quote

Military Spouse Support Network > News, Politics, and Military Info > Military Info