Military Spouse Support Network

Go Back   Military Spouse Support Network > News, Politics, and Military Info > Military Info > PCS'ing, installations, locations

PCS'ing, installations, locations Stop in here to ask about your new station or for tips in moving. Check out the social groups for people local to you!

Old 08-10-2009, 08:53 PM   #1
autumn
For Better, For Worse..
I'm a posting machine!

My Mood:
autumn is all that and a bag of chipsautumn is all that and a bag of chipsautumn is all that and a bag of chipsautumn is all that and a bag of chipsautumn is all that and a bag of chipsautumn is all that and a bag of chipsautumn is all that and a bag of chipsautumn is all that and a bag of chipsautumn is all that and a bag of chipsautumn is all that and a bag of chipsautumn is all that and a bag of chips
Question Non-Deployable bases

I hear that there are bases where the soldiers cannot be deployed. Is that true? Where are they?
autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:01 PM   #2
Armywife2728
MM, can't wait to go home
Wow, look at me go!

My Mood:
Armywife2728 is all that and a bag of chipsArmywife2728 is all that and a bag of chipsArmywife2728 is all that and a bag of chipsArmywife2728 is all that and a bag of chipsArmywife2728 is all that and a bag of chipsArmywife2728 is all that and a bag of chipsArmywife2728 is all that and a bag of chipsArmywife2728 is all that and a bag of chipsArmywife2728 is all that and a bag of chipsArmywife2728 is all that and a bag of chipsArmywife2728 is all that and a bag of chips
Default Re: Non-Deployable bases

I think pretty much every base has some degree of deployment.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:03 PM   #3
Innervision
Super Moderator
Super Mod

My Mood:
Innervision is all that and a bag of chipsInnervision is all that and a bag of chipsInnervision is all that and a bag of chipsInnervision is all that and a bag of chipsInnervision is all that and a bag of chipsInnervision is all that and a bag of chipsInnervision is all that and a bag of chipsInnervision is all that and a bag of chipsInnervision is all that and a bag of chipsInnervision is all that and a bag of chipsInnervision is all that and a bag of chips

No its not true. Some bases may deploy less than others but thats about. If you DH is going to be a 68W I'm sure you can expect him to deploy.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:04 PM   #4
Mrs Huffy
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
Mrs Huffy is all that and a bag of chipsMrs Huffy is all that and a bag of chipsMrs Huffy is all that and a bag of chipsMrs Huffy is all that and a bag of chipsMrs Huffy is all that and a bag of chipsMrs Huffy is all that and a bag of chipsMrs Huffy is all that and a bag of chipsMrs Huffy is all that and a bag of chipsMrs Huffy is all that and a bag of chipsMrs Huffy is all that and a bag of chipsMrs Huffy is all that and a bag of chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innervision View Post
No its not true. Some bases may deploy less than others but thats about. If you DH is going to be a 68W I'm sure you can expect him to deploy.
Yup...very true. I know that here they are pulling medics from everywhere possible...cause they need them badly for Afghanistan.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Just Tamara...
Mrs Huffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:07 PM   #5
GiggleKitten
Super Moderator
Super Mod

GiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chips

There is no such thing, especially with your spouses MOS.

GiggleKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:09 PM   #6
KarenRR13
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
KarenRR13 is all that and a bag of chipsKarenRR13 is all that and a bag of chipsKarenRR13 is all that and a bag of chipsKarenRR13 is all that and a bag of chipsKarenRR13 is all that and a bag of chipsKarenRR13 is all that and a bag of chipsKarenRR13 is all that and a bag of chipsKarenRR13 is all that and a bag of chipsKarenRR13 is all that and a bag of chipsKarenRR13 is all that and a bag of chipsKarenRR13 is all that and a bag of chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumn View Post
I hear that there are bases where the soldiers cannot be deployed. Is that true? Where are they?

The base is not the issue; it's the unit that the service member is assigned to. There are certain 'bases' which are better categorized as training facilities and those assigned to those training units there do not deploy. However, if your significant other is a combat medic I highly doubt he will be assigned to those 'bases'.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:14 PM   #7
Armywife2728
MM, can't wait to go home
Wow, look at me go!

My Mood:
Armywife2728 is all that and a bag of chipsArmywife2728 is all that and a bag of chipsArmywife2728 is all that and a bag of chipsArmywife2728 is all that and a bag of chipsArmywife2728 is all that and a bag of chipsArmywife2728 is all that and a bag of chipsArmywife2728 is all that and a bag of chipsArmywife2728 is all that and a bag of chipsArmywife2728 is all that and a bag of chipsArmywife2728 is all that and a bag of chipsArmywife2728 is all that and a bag of chips

Oh yeah, he's going for medic, he will probably have one of the highest probablilities for deploying (sorry, but true)
Old 08-10-2009, 09:16 PM   #8
GiggleKitten
Super Moderator
Super Mod

GiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chipsGiggleKitten is all that and a bag of chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenRR13 View Post
The base is not the issue; it's the unit that the service member is assigned to. There are certain 'bases' which are better categorized as training facilities and those assigned to those training units there do not deploy. However, if your significant other is a combat medic I highly doubt he will be assigned to those 'bases'.
Unfortunately even at training bases if the Army has a need they will yank the SM and attach them to a unit that needs that MOS.

GiggleKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:40 PM   #9
AbramsPatrol
Counting
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
AbramsPatrol is all that and a bag of chipsAbramsPatrol is all that and a bag of chipsAbramsPatrol is all that and a bag of chipsAbramsPatrol is all that and a bag of chipsAbramsPatrol is all that and a bag of chipsAbramsPatrol is all that and a bag of chipsAbramsPatrol is all that and a bag of chipsAbramsPatrol is all that and a bag of chipsAbramsPatrol is all that and a bag of chipsAbramsPatrol is all that and a bag of chipsAbramsPatrol is all that and a bag of chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiggleKitten View Post
Unfortunately even at training bases if the Army has a need they will yank the SM and attach them to a unit that needs that MOS.
Sure didn't have a problem taking mine from another unit...twice.

Medics don't have a chance, there's one way to be non-deployable as a medic and only a very, very small number of people are in that position and it requires a lot of experience.
AbramsPatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:03 PM   #10
marinewife121606
Chrissy
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
marinewife121606 is all that and a bag of chipsmarinewife121606 is all that and a bag of chipsmarinewife121606 is all that and a bag of chipsmarinewife121606 is all that and a bag of chipsmarinewife121606 is all that and a bag of chipsmarinewife121606 is all that and a bag of chipsmarinewife121606 is all that and a bag of chipsmarinewife121606 is all that and a bag of chipsmarinewife121606 is all that and a bag of chipsmarinewife121606 is all that and a bag of chipsmarinewife121606 is all that and a bag of chips

We were told Japan was "non-deployable" but that is not the reason we chose to come here. We wanted to experience the culture etc. Even though dh has not been to the sandbox, he has been everywhere all over Asia on deployments, sometimes 3 mos long, and he is usually gone like every other month for a few weeks..it sucks! So, no, there is no such thing...

marinewife121606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:06 PM   #11
Đanisty
Child-free by Choice
Wow, look at me go!

My Mood:
Đanisty is all that and a bag of chipsĐanisty is all that and a bag of chipsĐanisty is all that and a bag of chipsĐanisty is all that and a bag of chipsĐanisty is all that and a bag of chipsĐanisty is all that and a bag of chipsĐanisty is all that and a bag of chipsĐanisty is all that and a bag of chipsĐanisty is all that and a bag of chipsĐanisty is all that and a bag of chipsĐanisty is all that and a bag of chips

There are ways to lower the odds (or so I hear) but chances are he will deploy and he may even end up preferring it that way. I really think there is a special connection between medics and other soldiers. There's a relationship there that most medics I've met seem to thrive on. Of course, DH was that sort of risk-taking, can handle any situation kind of guy in the first place. He thrives on adrenaline and makes the best decisions under extreme pressure that would have most people panicking. If it's an emergency, he can handle it. It's the small, mundane stuff that trips him up.

I'm going to say this and you're not going to believe me. I honestly feel that deployment was one of the best things that happened to us. It forced us to learn more about ourselves and each other. It forced us to appreciate so much more. I feel (no offense to anyone else) that deployment has made me a better Army wife. I feel like we've had the complete experience and I feel like I have a sense of pride in him that I wouldn't have had he not deployed. Okay, you can all call me crazy now.
And the little glass vial goes into the gun like battery.
And the zydrate gun goes somewhere against your anatomy.
Đanisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:12 PM   #12
MrsJenS05
Our little family
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
MrsJenS05 is all that and a bag of chipsMrsJenS05 is all that and a bag of chipsMrsJenS05 is all that and a bag of chipsMrsJenS05 is all that and a bag of chipsMrsJenS05 is all that and a bag of chipsMrsJenS05 is all that and a bag of chipsMrsJenS05 is all that and a bag of chipsMrsJenS05 is all that and a bag of chipsMrsJenS05 is all that and a bag of chipsMrsJenS05 is all that and a bag of chipsMrsJenS05 is all that and a bag of chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiggleKitten View Post

Thats what happened to my husband. (He's a medical officer). They pulled him out of command of his unit and sent him to Iraq with an infantry unit.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:15 PM   #13
Manders
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
Manders is all that and a bag of chipsManders is all that and a bag of chipsManders is all that and a bag of chipsManders is all that and a bag of chipsManders is all that and a bag of chipsManders is all that and a bag of chipsManders is all that and a bag of chipsManders is all that and a bag of chipsManders is all that and a bag of chipsManders is all that and a bag of chipsManders is all that and a bag of chips

If they need you, your going.

Manders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:18 PM   #14
Erin
and life goes on...
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
Erin is all that and a bag of chipsErin is all that and a bag of chipsErin is all that and a bag of chipsErin is all that and a bag of chipsErin is all that and a bag of chipsErin is all that and a bag of chipsErin is all that and a bag of chipsErin is all that and a bag of chipsErin is all that and a bag of chipsErin is all that and a bag of chipsErin is all that and a bag of chips

at times there are non-deployable positions but that is only for a short time. At Buckley AFB the military member at the Airmen and family Readiness center was non-deployable. However, after his 2 years in that position he had to move to a deployable position... You don't get to do your career non-deployable. And as others said - it is all about the base. My DH will be 6 on 6 off here in Italy until we leave with the 6 on almost guaranteed (very high ops tempo here) and he is an engineer...
There are also IA positions (Individual Augumentee sp?). Doug has done that 2x's where he is sent to fill positions from the AF with the Army or the Internationsl joint forces. So you are never "safe" from deployment.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:15 AM   #15
pilotswife08
Getting warmer

My Mood:
pilotswife08 is all that and a bag of chipspilotswife08 is all that and a bag of chipspilotswife08 is all that and a bag of chipspilotswife08 is all that and a bag of chipspilotswife08 is all that and a bag of chipspilotswife08 is all that and a bag of chipspilotswife08 is all that and a bag of chipspilotswife08 is all that and a bag of chipspilotswife08 is all that and a bag of chipspilotswife08 is all that and a bag of chipspilotswife08 is all that and a bag of chips

We were non-deployable at Rucker while DH was in flight school, but that's because he wasn't thru the school and they couldn't exactly send him over there not knowing how to fly....
pilotswife08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:19 AM   #16
alicia9
Life changes quick!

alicia9 is all that and a bag of chipsalicia9 is all that and a bag of chipsalicia9 is all that and a bag of chipsalicia9 is all that and a bag of chipsalicia9 is all that and a bag of chipsalicia9 is all that and a bag of chipsalicia9 is all that and a bag of chipsalicia9 is all that and a bag of chipsalicia9 is all that and a bag of chipsalicia9 is all that and a bag of chipsalicia9 is all that and a bag of chips

I know that at our clinics here on post the medics are non-deployable. We actually have many medics that have volunteered to deploy but they haven't sent them because they are so badly needed here on post. We are so short on healthcare here. But the European Army Medical team sent out an email saying if you haven't deployed you will be going next they are going to try to rotate some of the people who have had multiple tours.

alicia9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 04:04 AM   #17
geneva
Love
Wow, look at me go!

My Mood:
geneva is all that and a bag of chipsgeneva is all that and a bag of chipsgeneva is all that and a bag of chipsgeneva is all that and a bag of chipsgeneva is all that and a bag of chipsgeneva is all that and a bag of chipsgeneva is all that and a bag of chipsgeneva is all that and a bag of chipsgeneva is all that and a bag of chipsgeneva is all that and a bag of chipsgeneva is all that and a bag of chips

I thought bases in Korea were non-deployable because technically they're already in a war zone. Or am I not understanding the issue?
Old 08-11-2009, 06:20 AM   #18
autumn
For Better, For Worse..
I'm a posting machine!

My Mood:
autumn is all that and a bag of chipsautumn is all that and a bag of chipsautumn is all that and a bag of chipsautumn is all that and a bag of chipsautumn is all that and a bag of chipsautumn is all that and a bag of chipsautumn is all that and a bag of chipsautumn is all that and a bag of chipsautumn is all that and a bag of chipsautumn is all that and a bag of chipsautumn is all that and a bag of chips

Well most of those answers are depressing.
autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:07 PM   #19
IluvMySailor716
<3 Me and my loves <3
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
IluvMySailor716 is all that and a bag of chipsIluvMySailor716 is all that and a bag of chipsIluvMySailor716 is all that and a bag of chipsIluvMySailor716 is all that and a bag of chipsIluvMySailor716 is all that and a bag of chipsIluvMySailor716 is all that and a bag of chipsIluvMySailor716 is all that and a bag of chipsIluvMySailor716 is all that and a bag of chipsIluvMySailor716 is all that and a bag of chipsIluvMySailor716 is all that and a bag of chipsIluvMySailor716 is all that and a bag of chips

unfortunately, i don't think there is any such thing as non deployable in the military. period. my hubs came to this new command thinking it was so, and not so much... he gets here, checks in and finds out he could possibly end up in iraq or afghanistan for 12-18 months so we are just waitin for that bomb to drop sweets, you will be ok

IluvMySailor716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:39 PM   #20
Mrs Huffy
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
Mrs Huffy is all that and a bag of chipsMrs Huffy is all that and a bag of chipsMrs Huffy is all that and a bag of chipsMrs Huffy is all that and a bag of chipsMrs Huffy is all that and a bag of chipsMrs Huffy is all that and a bag of chipsMrs Huffy is all that and a bag of chipsMrs Huffy is all that and a bag of chipsMrs Huffy is all that and a bag of chipsMrs Huffy is all that and a bag of chipsMrs Huffy is all that and a bag of chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumn View Post
Well most of those answers are depressing.

Unfortunately...that is the army. It is not exactly the best time to be enlisted if you do not expect to spend a good amount of time apart...

We have been in for six years, and deployed for half of that.

It is what it is. But it is no fun. You just have to make the best of it, and not dwell on the fact that more than likely...they will be gone soon.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Just Tamara...
Mrs Huffy is offline   Reply With Quote

Military Spouse Support Network > News, Politics, and Military Info > Military Info > PCS'ing, installations, locations