Military Spouse Support Network

Go Back   Military Spouse Support Network > News, Politics, and Military Info > Military Info

Military Info New to military life? Need answers? This is the place for you!

Old 03-06-2009, 03:05 PM   #1
MackenziesMommy522
Mackenzie <3
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
MackenziesMommy522 is all that and a bag of chipsMackenziesMommy522 is all that and a bag of chipsMackenziesMommy522 is all that and a bag of chipsMackenziesMommy522 is all that and a bag of chipsMackenziesMommy522 is all that and a bag of chipsMackenziesMommy522 is all that and a bag of chipsMackenziesMommy522 is all that and a bag of chipsMackenziesMommy522 is all that and a bag of chipsMackenziesMommy522 is all that and a bag of chipsMackenziesMommy522 is all that and a bag of chipsMackenziesMommy522 is all that and a bag of chips
Question Is this a scam? I need advise

Okay..so I get a letter today from a company called "Military Assistance Company" or MAC. It says that we had allotments coming out for bills which we used to...but they are saying that they took out too much and they OWE US money. It says we have 400 dollars we need to claim. Okay...sounds great...so I call them...I already feel like a dummy because she is like to access your account I need your husbands SS number...so like an idiot I gave it to her...she then says...okay yes...he had an old allotments that was payed off and we took too much out so we owe you 422 dollars. In order to get the money into our account I have to fill out this form they sent me which includes giving them my Bank Account Number and Routing Number. Umm Shouldnt they have that in file if they are taking allotments out? Im so confused. Is this a scam? Or is this our money? He is deployed sooo I am not sure what to do. Thank you for any help

Last edited by MackenziesMommy522; 03-06-2009 at 03:07 PM.
MackenziesMommy522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:10 PM   #2
Mrs Huffy
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
Mrs Huffy is all that and a bag of chipsMrs Huffy is all that and a bag of chipsMrs Huffy is all that and a bag of chipsMrs Huffy is all that and a bag of chipsMrs Huffy is all that and a bag of chipsMrs Huffy is all that and a bag of chipsMrs Huffy is all that and a bag of chipsMrs Huffy is all that and a bag of chipsMrs Huffy is all that and a bag of chipsMrs Huffy is all that and a bag of chipsMrs Huffy is all that and a bag of chips
Default Re: Is this a scam? I need advise

If they were taking it as an allotment, then they would not have your banking information, that would have been done through mypay...

I do not know though other than that.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Just Tamara...
Mrs Huffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:32 PM   #3
Rockin_Jen
Displaced KY girl!
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
Rockin_Jen is all that and a bag of chipsRockin_Jen is all that and a bag of chipsRockin_Jen is all that and a bag of chipsRockin_Jen is all that and a bag of chipsRockin_Jen is all that and a bag of chipsRockin_Jen is all that and a bag of chipsRockin_Jen is all that and a bag of chipsRockin_Jen is all that and a bag of chipsRockin_Jen is all that and a bag of chipsRockin_Jen is all that and a bag of chipsRockin_Jen is all that and a bag of chips

I have to confess, it does sound a bit sketchy. I would ask them to send YOU a check. There's NO way that I would trust anyone enough to give them my account and routing numbers. I don't even give that to the CPA who does our taxes--I just fill it in before we sign and mail them myself.

Rockin_Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:35 PM   #4
MackenziesMommy522
Mackenzie <3
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
MackenziesMommy522 is all that and a bag of chipsMackenziesMommy522 is all that and a bag of chipsMackenziesMommy522 is all that and a bag of chipsMackenziesMommy522 is all that and a bag of chipsMackenziesMommy522 is all that and a bag of chipsMackenziesMommy522 is all that and a bag of chipsMackenziesMommy522 is all that and a bag of chipsMackenziesMommy522 is all that and a bag of chipsMackenziesMommy522 is all that and a bag of chipsMackenziesMommy522 is all that and a bag of chipsMackenziesMommy522 is all that and a bag of chips

I feel sick that I gave her his social and name ... I dont know what to do..how ti find out if they are real. Maybe Military One Source or take the letter to my bank
Old 03-06-2009, 03:48 PM   #5
SGTShepsWife
Eye Care Extraordinare!!!
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
SGTShepsWife is all that and a bag of chipsSGTShepsWife is all that and a bag of chipsSGTShepsWife is all that and a bag of chipsSGTShepsWife is all that and a bag of chipsSGTShepsWife is all that and a bag of chipsSGTShepsWife is all that and a bag of chipsSGTShepsWife is all that and a bag of chipsSGTShepsWife is all that and a bag of chipsSGTShepsWife is all that and a bag of chipsSGTShepsWife is all that and a bag of chipsSGTShepsWife is all that and a bag of chips

I would take the letter to JAG or finance to see if they can tell you if its legit or not. Dont forget your POA.
SGTShepsWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:15 PM   #6
girlvet
something green
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
girlvet is all that and a bag of chipsgirlvet is all that and a bag of chipsgirlvet is all that and a bag of chipsgirlvet is all that and a bag of chipsgirlvet is all that and a bag of chipsgirlvet is all that and a bag of chipsgirlvet is all that and a bag of chipsgirlvet is all that and a bag of chipsgirlvet is all that and a bag of chipsgirlvet is all that and a bag of chipsgirlvet is all that and a bag of chips

Sounds like a scam to me....

You could try googling them and seeing what comes up.

Jennifer
girlvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:28 PM   #7
SwashKnickers
♥ Mahal Kita Lee ♥
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
SwashKnickers is all that and a bag of chipsSwashKnickers is all that and a bag of chipsSwashKnickers is all that and a bag of chipsSwashKnickers is all that and a bag of chipsSwashKnickers is all that and a bag of chipsSwashKnickers is all that and a bag of chipsSwashKnickers is all that and a bag of chipsSwashKnickers is all that and a bag of chipsSwashKnickers is all that and a bag of chipsSwashKnickers is all that and a bag of chipsSwashKnickers is all that and a bag of chips

Their website https://www.allotment.net/AboutMAC.aspx claims that they are a liason between Defense Finance and Accounting Services (DFAS), Military Members, Military Housing Offices and Private companies nationwide by providing custom electronic interfaces and funds movement services.

By googling Military Assistance Company it did bring up quite a few .mil websites with the company in. I would probably call finance and see if they have any info about the company, if they do work with dfas finance would know. If not then I would call one of the credit companies and tell them that you unknowingly you gave out info that cause potential credit theft.

The story about my Godson, Little Miracle Baby: The Perfect Life of Kennedy Jack. Check it out!
SwashKnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 05:15 PM   #8
girlvet
something green
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
girlvet is all that and a bag of chipsgirlvet is all that and a bag of chipsgirlvet is all that and a bag of chipsgirlvet is all that and a bag of chipsgirlvet is all that and a bag of chipsgirlvet is all that and a bag of chipsgirlvet is all that and a bag of chipsgirlvet is all that and a bag of chipsgirlvet is all that and a bag of chipsgirlvet is all that and a bag of chipsgirlvet is all that and a bag of chips

While you are working it out, you can call the three major credit monitor companies and put extra protections on your credit. Hope you get it sorted out quickly.

Jennifer
girlvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:06 PM   #9
MackenziesMommy522
Mackenzie <3
You can't touch this!

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlvet View Post
While you are working it out, you can call the three major credit monitor companies and put extra protections on your credit. Hope you get it sorted out quickly.
Will the credit agencies let me do it since its his social or would my husband have to? I guess I will call them anyways...Thank you so much Swash for you extra help. It is tricky cause their website seems legit. You guys are the best
Old 03-06-2009, 06:50 PM   #10
LadyWicky
"Batman" of WonderPets
You can't touch this!

LadyWicky is all that and a bag of chipsLadyWicky is all that and a bag of chipsLadyWicky is all that and a bag of chipsLadyWicky is all that and a bag of chipsLadyWicky is all that and a bag of chipsLadyWicky is all that and a bag of chipsLadyWicky is all that and a bag of chipsLadyWicky is all that and a bag of chipsLadyWicky is all that and a bag of chipsLadyWicky is all that and a bag of chipsLadyWicky is all that and a bag of chips

If it is legit, they shouldn't have a problem writing you a check. I would go to legal and ask them though. Did you really have an allotment going to them? If so, can you add up how much they got over time and see if it is 422 over what you owed them?

LadyWicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:48 PM   #11
MackenziesMommy522
Mackenzie <3
You can't touch this!

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyWicky View Post
If it is legit, they shouldn't have a problem writing you a check. I would go to legal and ask them though. Did you really have an allotment going to them? If so, can you add up how much they got over time and see if it is 422 over what you owed them?
The only allotments we ever had was for my wedding ring and furniture and both have been payed off for a long time. Everything went through Mypay...I have never heard of MAC and my husband says he doesnt know (he doesnt really pay attention though). Frustrating cause he is like just mail it to me and I will take care of it. He is in Iraq lol...you know how the mail is...I am just the kind of person that like to get it taken care of now. I worry about our credit and he is more layed back. I get this figured out. I will let you all know.....If it is a scam I cant believe people would pray on military families. Sad.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:56 PM   #12
Mrs Huffy
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
Mrs Huffy is all that and a bag of chipsMrs Huffy is all that and a bag of chipsMrs Huffy is all that and a bag of chipsMrs Huffy is all that and a bag of chipsMrs Huffy is all that and a bag of chipsMrs Huffy is all that and a bag of chipsMrs Huffy is all that and a bag of chipsMrs Huffy is all that and a bag of chipsMrs Huffy is all that and a bag of chipsMrs Huffy is all that and a bag of chipsMrs Huffy is all that and a bag of chips

We DID have a furniture payment that went through MAC...

Which was Military Acceptance Corporation...

Just Tamara...
Old 03-06-2009, 08:58 PM   #13
MackenziesMommy522
Mackenzie <3
You can't touch this!

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Huffy View Post
We DID have a furniture payment that went through MAC...

Which was Military Acceptance Corporation...
OHH really??? Is that the same as Military Assistance Company?? Hmmmmm maybe its not a scam
Old 03-06-2009, 09:02 PM   #14
Mrs Huffy
You can't touch this!

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyGunny24 View Post
OHH really??? Is that the same as Military Assistance Company?? Hmmmmm maybe its not a scam
Do not know... :?

Just Tamara...
Old 03-06-2009, 11:55 PM   #15
*Danielle*
Wow, look at me go!

My Mood:
*Danielle* is all that and a bag of chips*Danielle* is all that and a bag of chips*Danielle* is all that and a bag of chips*Danielle* is all that and a bag of chips*Danielle* is all that and a bag of chips*Danielle* is all that and a bag of chips*Danielle* is all that and a bag of chips*Danielle* is all that and a bag of chips*Danielle* is all that and a bag of chips*Danielle* is all that and a bag of chips*Danielle* is all that and a bag of chips

Quote:
They sound like two different companies with the same initials.

I would be very wary. But checking with finance should give you a definite answer.

But from what it seems they are telling you, they aren't a company you paid, but a "liason" between DFAS and you, trying to get your overpayment back. To me, it seems like a scam.

But like everyone has said, if you go to finance or legal, they will surely know if this company is legit.
*Danielle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:54 AM   #16
MackenziesMommy522
Mackenzie <3
You can't touch this!

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
They sound like two different companies with the same initials.

I would be very wary. But checking with finance should give you a definite answer.

But from what it seems they are telling you, they aren't a company you paid, but a "liason" between DFAS and you, trying to get your overpayment back. To me, it seems like a scam.

But like everyone has said, if you go to finance or legal, they will surely know if this company is legit.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:52 AM   #17
MrsFlyboy
Waiting....
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
MrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chipsMrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chipsMrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chipsMrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chipsMrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chipsMrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chipsMrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chipsMrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chipsMrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chipsMrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chipsMrsFlyboy is all that and a bag of chips

I don't know but it sounds like a scam to me. You can put a Security Freeze on your credit report through all 3 credit reporting agencies. I didn't go that far when I lost my wallet last year though. I just put a "active duty alert" on both of our credit reports. It's free and if anyone tries to open credit in our name, we'll get a phone call.

The Security Freeze is a great option though. It costs about $10-20, I think and if you want to lift it to open credit, you can but that costs a little bit too (not much). But it's protective.

COME AND GET FIT WITH ME!

I am an Independent Team Beachbody Coach because I've personally used and seen *great* results with Beachbody products.

"Judging a person does not define who they are, it defines who you are."~Unknown

MrsFlyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:02 AM   #18
Judith
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
Judith is all that and a bag of chipsJudith is all that and a bag of chipsJudith is all that and a bag of chipsJudith is all that and a bag of chipsJudith is all that and a bag of chipsJudith is all that and a bag of chipsJudith is all that and a bag of chipsJudith is all that and a bag of chipsJudith is all that and a bag of chipsJudith is all that and a bag of chipsJudith is all that and a bag of chips

I would proceed.. You already gave them the most important information. But, I would proceed with caution. Like the ladies suggested contact Finance and or your bank.

Keep us posted

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
Judith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 10:27 PM   #19
dj'swifey
You can't touch this!

dj'swifey is all that and a bag of chipsdj'swifey is all that and a bag of chipsdj'swifey is all that and a bag of chipsdj'swifey is all that and a bag of chipsdj'swifey is all that and a bag of chipsdj'swifey is all that and a bag of chipsdj'swifey is all that and a bag of chipsdj'swifey is all that and a bag of chipsdj'swifey is all that and a bag of chipsdj'swifey is all that and a bag of chipsdj'swifey is all that and a bag of chips

Quote:
The only allotments we ever had was for my wedding ring and furniture and both have been payed off for a long time. Everything went through Mypay...I have never heard of MAC and my husband says he doesnt know (he doesnt really pay attention though). Frustrating cause he is like just mail it to me and I will take care of it. He is in Iraq lol...you know how the mail is...I am just the kind of person that like to get it taken care of now. I worry about our credit and he is more layed back. I get this figured out. I will let you all know.....If it is a scam I cant believe people would pray on military families. Sad.
WE were at the mall in san diego yesterday and I can't rember what jewerly store it was but they had a big sign saying MAC we finace the military it is probally from your ring.
dj'swifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 10:43 PM   #20
MackenziesMommy522
Mackenzie <3
You can't touch this!

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj'swifey View Post
WE were at the mall in san diego yesterday and I can't rember what jewerly store it was but they had a big sign saying MAC we finace the military it is probally from your ring.

I will totally look into that!! Thank you!! I will call the jewler tomorrow and see...thank you sooooooooooooooooooooo much

Military Spouse Support Network > News, Politics, and Military Info > Military Info