Military Spouse Support Network

Go Back   Military Spouse Support Network > News, Politics, and Military Info > Military Info > PCS'ing, installations, locations

PCS'ing, installations, locations Stop in here to ask about your new station or for tips in moving. Check out the social groups for people local to you!

Old 08-10-2005, 09:30 PM   #1
EMiLY

Default Overseas Medical Clearance

First off I am new to the military... just got married to my Air Force husband right before he deployed. My husband has been stationed at Lackland AFB in TX, but I have been living in DE and have not yet lived with him. I do have a base nearby, about an hour away, that I can go to. But I do not have other spouses or an FRG or anything to ask questions to. You guys are my main source. My husband and I have to PCS to England (RAF Lakenheath) in the Fall. I have to do the Overseas Medical Clearance here by myself while he is in Iraq so I am pretty lost. I have a few questions...

Where do I start? I've never even seen a doctor with Tricare. I do have a packet of paperwork titled, "Family Relocation Clearance Checklist". I am still waiting for my husband to get me his signed orders, but when they come I will have to start doing this, and I don't know who to call or where to start. Do I do it through my PCM? I was given one when I enrolled in DEERS here at the AFB in DE.

Also, is it just 1 normal checkup? Or do I have to make a bunch of appointments with lots of different people? Is it a simple physical or more complicated where I would have to get blood work and all sorts of tests?

So basically, I need to know the whole process of this Overseas Medical Clearance thing. I have this packet of papers but it doesn't do much to help me figure out what to do. I would appreciate any info you guys have on how to get the ball rolling on this, where to go, the whole process, etc.

Thanks so much. I pray this is a piece of cake.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:51 PM   #2
MSSN's Sweet E
Julian and Papi
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
MSSN's Sweet E is all that and a bag of chipsMSSN's Sweet E is all that and a bag of chipsMSSN's Sweet E is all that and a bag of chipsMSSN's Sweet E is all that and a bag of chipsMSSN's Sweet E is all that and a bag of chipsMSSN's Sweet E is all that and a bag of chipsMSSN's Sweet E is all that and a bag of chipsMSSN's Sweet E is all that and a bag of chipsMSSN's Sweet E is all that and a bag of chipsMSSN's Sweet E is all that and a bag of chipsMSSN's Sweet E is all that and a bag of chips

Oh wow I wish I would help yopu bit I know tons of ladies are over seas.

I hope and this is an easy and smooth process for you so you cna finally get to live with your hubby.

MSSN's Sweet E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 10:19 PM   #3
jjay

Default Re: Overseas Medical Clearance

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMiLY
First off I am new to the military... just got married to my Air Force husband right before he deployed. My husband has been stationed at Lackland AFB in TX, but I have been living in DE and have not yet lived with him. I do have a base nearby, about an hour away, that I can go to. But I do not have other spouses or an FRG or anything to ask questions to. You guys are my main source. My husband and I have to PCS to England (RAF Lakenheath) in the Fall. I have to do the Overseas Medical Clearance here by myself while he is in Iraq so I am pretty lost. I have a few questions...

Where do I start? I've never even seen a doctor with Tricare. I do have a packet of paperwork titled, "Family Relocation Clearance Checklist". I am still waiting for my husband to get me his signed orders, but when they come I will have to start doing this, and I don't know who to call or where to start. Do I do it through my PCM? I was given one when I enrolled in DEERS here at the AFB in DE.

Also, is it just 1 normal checkup? Or do I have to make a bunch of appointments with lots of different people? Is it a simple physical or more complicated where I would have to get blood work and all sorts of tests?

So basically, I need to know the whole process of this Overseas Medical Clearance thing. I have this packet of papers but it doesn't do much to help me figure out what to do. I would appreciate any info you guys have on how to get the ball rolling on this, where to go, the whole process, etc.

Thanks so much. I pray this is a piece of cake.
You are on the right track already!
-Call and book your apt for the pap smear...(don't wait much longer! Appointments are booked in advance. Make sure to schedule your apt. for a time frame when ya don't have your period. )
-Call the appointment line to schedule an overseas medical screening at your local base hospital. Make sure to ask what office you have to go to!!
Take your paperwork along to the appointment.
--> at pap smear appointment: let them know you want a copy of the paperwork...and that it's for an overseas medical screening.
When was the last time you had a dental check-up and cleaning?? Have you seen a dentist on a regular basis? Get needed work done now! (Tricare dental covers 2 check-ups + 2 cleanings per year)
Old 08-10-2005, 10:30 PM   #4
jjay

http://www.mtmc.army.mil/CONTENT/8808/DBCN8808.pdf shipping your POV
http://afmove.hq.af.mil/Default.asp Air Force move info
Old 08-17-2005, 07:15 PM   #5
PrdUSAFWife

How I dread having to go through this if Rob ever gets orders overseas!

Your husband will not be given his hard copy of his orders until your medical clearance is complete. The sooner you start it the better.

The dental can be more of a pain than anything. If there is major work to be done you most likely will have to take care of that prior to being cleared.

Good luck and stick to it.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:17 PM   #6
jjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrdUSAFWife
How I dread having to go through this if Rob ever gets orders overseas!
You would be just fine - as long as you start the process as early as possible. No worries.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:29 AM   #7
PrdUSAFWife

If we were ever given orders I would be on the med clearance immediately. Especially when it comes to me and the dentist. Yikes!
Old 08-18-2005, 12:51 PM   #8
andysangel

Hey do you have to do a med clearance for Hawaii sice they say thats over seas?
Old 08-18-2005, 01:58 PM   #9
jjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysangel
Hey do you have to do a med clearance for Hawaii sice they say thats over seas?
YES. Hawaii needs a medical clearance.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:37 PM   #10
andysangel

Thanks Jjay
Old 08-20-2005, 03:25 AM   #11
USAF_Gal
Blissfully Happy
I'm a posting machine!

My Mood:
USAF_Gal has disabled reputation

I just went through this 3 months ago, the medical and dental clearances are so easy to do. For the med clearance as long as all your shots are up to date the only thing you will need is the TB test. For the dental as long as you see a dentist regularly your good.

For the Dental clearance I just had to drop the paperwork off at the dentist I saw in NC, he filled it out and gave it back to me. For the medical clearance I sat in a room with 2 doctors, the looked through my records, each asked me 10 standard questions and then signed off on the sheet. It took all of 15 minutes.

Suzy

USAF_Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 08:46 AM   #12
LuvMySoldier

Hmmm! I wouldn't really know how to start with it! I moved to Germany and never had to have a medical clearance done! I had a ton of other BS to do while my husband was already relocated to Germany months before I ever followed. But being that Suzy just went through this herself I bet she has it down pat!
Old 08-20-2005, 09:22 AM   #13
jjay

Yes, if you are under the regular supervision of a doctor, get a yearly PAP, and see your dentist every 6 months, then the paperwork is mostly a formality.
A 15 min appointment where you answer some questions and your records are checked and voila...the paperwork can be sent off for processing!
Old 08-20-2005, 09:25 AM   #14
USAF_Gal
Blissfully Happy
I'm a posting machine!

My Mood:
USAF_Gal has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALKing
I moved to Germany and never had to have a medical clearance done!
That is surprising. My first duty station was in Germany and I had to have the Active Duty medical clearance but I know people who were there with spouses and kids and they needed to have medical and dental clearances done. I know people who have been denied orders to Germany due to their family member not passing the medical clearance

The whole point of the clearances is if there is something wrong with you or someone in your family that requires a doctor in a certain field of medicine or a dentist they have the facilities either on that base or nearby to care for you.

Suzy

USAF_Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 09:31 AM   #15
jjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF_Gal
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALKing
I moved to Germany and never had to have a medical clearance done!
That is surprising. My first duty station was in Germany and I had to have the Active Duty medical clearance but I know people who were there with spouses and kids and they needed to have medical and dental clearances done. I know people who have been denied orders to Germany due to their family member not passing the medical clearance

The whole point of the clearances is if there is something wrong with you or someone in your family that requires a doctor in a certain field of medicine or a dentist they have the facilities either on that base or nearby to care for you.

Suzy
Let me see if I can answer this:
Dh is Army...and we completed overseas medical clearance earlier this year:
..NO WAY would any Army family go overseas to Germany without having overseas medical screening paperwork completed.
The forms are a must! No exceptions!
Old 08-20-2005, 09:36 AM   #16
LuvMySoldier

My son had one done (we only had him at the time)! I did take my records with me, I was seeing a PCP being that I lived so far from a MTF. If I had seen a doctor in regards to medical clearance I might have know I was already PG with my second son before going over there. Not sure!
Old 08-23-2005, 09:48 AM   #17
PrdUSAFWife

I don't remember going through any of this when I went to Oki when Rob was is the Corp. I know I had to get a few shots but that was it. Perhaps that was due to his having completed a tour conversion, I don't know.

I do know that in the AF you won't go anywhere until your clearance is completed and you won't even get your hard copy of your orders until then.

Everything is done for a reason.

Time to hit up the dentist just in case. I can dream.............
Old 08-24-2005, 05:16 AM   #18
mariposakare

I just did this too. My husband and I got married while he was between tech school and being stationed at RAF Lakenheath. I had to do all the overseas medical clearence on my own too. I didn't even have to get the dental form filled out because at the Dr. apt she asked if i had had a dental exam in the last 12 mo and since i had she signed off on it. If you take past medical records withyou to the clearence apt it makes it easier but i'm told they can do it with out it. I only had records from the past three months and it was no problem. I'd be happy to answer any other questions about Lakenheath or about anything else that i can help with.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:30 AM   #19
Chris'wife
The LOVES of my LIFE!
I'm a posting machine!

Chris'wife makes the heavens open and lights smile down on allChris'wife makes the heavens open and lights smile down on allChris'wife makes the heavens open and lights smile down on allChris'wife makes the heavens open and lights smile down on allChris'wife makes the heavens open and lights smile down on allChris'wife makes the heavens open and lights smile down on allChris'wife makes the heavens open and lights smile down on allChris'wife makes the heavens open and lights smile down on allChris'wife makes the heavens open and lights smile down on allChris'wife makes the heavens open and lights smile down on allChris'wife makes the heavens open and lights smile down on all

Wow, it forgot about the dentist!! Looks liek i need to get booking!!! Emily, we're moving to England too!!! I'lll PM you!!
Chris'wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:51 PM   #20
jldavis

jldavis is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Overseas Medical Clearance

My husband and I were recently married, he is already stationed overseas in Japan. I am scheduled to go get the first part of my overseas screening done on Monday and was told i need a copy of his orders, except I do not have a copy of his orders in hand and am having trouble contacting him, should I cancel my appt? Also I havent been to the doctors in years except for an ob since i recently gave birth to our daughter, what should i expect
jldavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Military Spouse Support Network > News, Politics, and Military Info > Military Info > PCS'ing, installations, locations