Military Spouse Support Network

Go Back   Military Spouse Support Network > Housing, moving, life in general > Work and School

Work and School School, work, schoolwork. It all goes here.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:34 PM   #1
*Beebs*
Wow, look at me go!

My Mood:
*Beebs* is all that and a bag of chips*Beebs* is all that and a bag of chips*Beebs* is all that and a bag of chips*Beebs* is all that and a bag of chips*Beebs* is all that and a bag of chips*Beebs* is all that and a bag of chips*Beebs* is all that and a bag of chips*Beebs* is all that and a bag of chips*Beebs* is all that and a bag of chips*Beebs* is all that and a bag of chips*Beebs* is all that and a bag of chips
Question Jobs

So, my boyfriend has orders to Lemoore.. I would like to go with him, however, I won't go without a job.. whether it be my current one transferring me down there or finding another on my own. My boss is currently trying to get me transferred to an area down there but the chances aren't looking so great right now. I really love my job and would hate to give it up but am open to looking for something else as long as I'd still be getting around the same income to be able to pay my bills. My question is, how do you look for a job out of state? Like, when you're filling out an application, you're supposed to put down true information.. like, your address, I'd have to put down my WA address.. when they see my application wouldn't they just be like "well why is this random person from WA applying for this job?" Maybe I'm confused on how to do things like this because I have never done it before. If anyone has any tips or information they could enlighten me with, I would be greatly appreciative to get it. We've got a couple months before he's gotta be down there and we have discussed me just staying here until I can either 1) transfer with my current job or 2) I can find something down there if it doesn't happen before he has to be down there.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:10 PM   #2
IluvMySailor716
<3 Me and my loves <3
You can't touch this!

My Mood:
IluvMySailor716 is all that and a bag of chipsIluvMySailor716 is all that and a bag of chipsIluvMySailor716 is all that and a bag of chipsIluvMySailor716 is all that and a bag of chipsIluvMySailor716 is all that and a bag of chipsIluvMySailor716 is all that and a bag of chipsIluvMySailor716 is all that and a bag of chipsIluvMySailor716 is all that and a bag of chipsIluvMySailor716 is all that and a bag of chipsIluvMySailor716 is all that and a bag of chipsIluvMySailor716 is all that and a bag of chips
Default Re: Jobs

what kind of jobs are you looking to apply for? i know that in jon's resume, they told him to put a lil blurb at the end that he was looking to relocate and what his goals were with relocating and whatnot

IluvMySailor716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:18 PM   #3
psycheab
Love my girls!
Wow, look at me go!

My Mood:
psycheab is all that and a bag of chipspsycheab is all that and a bag of chipspsycheab is all that and a bag of chipspsycheab is all that and a bag of chipspsycheab is all that and a bag of chipspsycheab is all that and a bag of chipspsycheab is all that and a bag of chipspsycheab is all that and a bag of chipspsycheab is all that and a bag of chipspsycheab is all that and a bag of chipspsycheab is all that and a bag of chips

When applying for jobs and I'm out of the area, I will mention it casually in my cover letter "I am relocating to the _______ area within (whatever time frame)." If they really are interested in you, they will often do a telephone interview and it could be covered more in detail then. I've gotten 2 jobs just from the phone interview alone. Any details they need, such as why you might be moving to the area, can be mentioned then.

Good luck with your job hunt!
psycheab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:43 PM   #4
*Beebs*
Wow, look at me go!

My Mood:
*Beebs* is all that and a bag of chips*Beebs* is all that and a bag of chips*Beebs* is all that and a bag of chips*Beebs* is all that and a bag of chips*Beebs* is all that and a bag of chips*Beebs* is all that and a bag of chips*Beebs* is all that and a bag of chips*Beebs* is all that and a bag of chips*Beebs* is all that and a bag of chips*Beebs* is all that and a bag of chips*Beebs* is all that and a bag of chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvMySailor716 View Post
what kind of jobs are you looking to apply for? i know that in jon's resume, they told him to put a lil blurb at the end that he was looking to relocate and what his goals were with relocating and whatnot
I'd like to keep within the same kinda work I am already doing which is merchandising (vendors). I work for Kraft Foods right now so even something with Kelloggs, Pepsi, Coke, ect.. would work. I am just unsure of how to go about it being an out of state job applicant.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:40 AM   #5
phrogger
You can't touch this!

phrogger is all that and a bag of chipsphrogger is all that and a bag of chipsphrogger is all that and a bag of chipsphrogger is all that and a bag of chipsphrogger is all that and a bag of chipsphrogger is all that and a bag of chipsphrogger is all that and a bag of chipsphrogger is all that and a bag of chipsphrogger is all that and a bag of chipsphrogger is all that and a bag of chipsphrogger is all that and a bag of chips

There really are not a lot of jobs in the area. This area has one of the highest unemployment rates in the state. So be prepared for that.

I am not sure if you will be able to find the kind of job you are looking for but it wouldn't hurt to try. This area is either ag or military, they are VERY used to families transfering to the area.

With that said, there are factors in the area that hire often, and if you look for areas outside of Lemoore, about 45 minutes away in Fresno, Visalia, Tulare etc, you might have some luck as well.

You can check out La Preno foods (cheese factory), del monte is here, Kraft is in Tulare etc.

You could also apply with temp agencies and see what is out there. But the job market is really tough in this area. I know retired military who can't find jobs here. So I hope you can transfer.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:46 AM   #6
devilwhiterose
Hooked on the sauce
I'm a posting machine!

My Mood:
devilwhiterose is all that and a bag of chipsdevilwhiterose is all that and a bag of chipsdevilwhiterose is all that and a bag of chipsdevilwhiterose is all that and a bag of chipsdevilwhiterose is all that and a bag of chipsdevilwhiterose is all that and a bag of chipsdevilwhiterose is all that and a bag of chipsdevilwhiterose is all that and a bag of chipsdevilwhiterose is all that and a bag of chipsdevilwhiterose is all that and a bag of chipsdevilwhiterose is all that and a bag of chips

Well, my husband ended up stationed at Camp Lejeune, NC... We were both relocating from Wisconsin and I also was not going without a job. Trouble is, there weren't any. It was a standard military town and unless you were going to be a waitress/hostess, or work at Walmart, that was about it... I ended up finding an apartment 2 hours north in Raleigh and he commuted back and forth on the weekend for 3-1/2 years. He loved it because he could "get away". We received ALOT of crap for it, but we knew it was right for us. I'm the breadwinner. So...that's something to consider if you fall short of jobs in that location.

In terms of applying for job...I had googled/monster'd/careerbuilder'd and narrowed down good-sized towns within the area and just started emailing. I told them that "I will be relocating from WI and am visiting the area between July10th-July16th and would like to have a few interviews lined up at that time." blah blah blah, look at my resume, see if I'm a good fit, blah blah blah. That way they'll jump on the opportunity if they know you'll be in town and are actually serious about moving.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:27 PM   #7
*Beebs*
Wow, look at me go!

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrogger View Post
There really are not a lot of jobs in the area. This area has one of the highest unemployment rates in the state. So be prepared for that.

I am not sure if you will be able to find the kind of job you are looking for but it wouldn't hurt to try. This area is either ag or military, they are VERY used to families transfering to the area.

With that said, there are factors in the area that hire often, and if you look for areas outside of Lemoore, about 45 minutes away in Fresno, Visalia, Tulare etc, you might have some luck as well.

You can check out La Preno foods (cheese factory), del monte is here, Kraft is in Tulare etc.

You could also apply with temp agencies and see what is out there. But the job market is really tough in this area. I know retired military who can't find jobs here. So I hope you can transfer.
We won't actually be living in Lemoore but in Corcoran. I've recently been able to contact the right person down there myself versus going through my boss back and forth. I emailed him this morning so I will be waiting to hear back. I am willing to commute (which there is a lot of in my job) and I made that totally aware to him. I guess we will see what happens. If I can't transfer, I won't go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilwhiterose View Post
Well, my husband ended up stationed at Camp Lejeune, NC... We were both relocating from Wisconsin and I also was not going without a job. Trouble is, there weren't any. It was a standard military town and unless you were going to be a waitress/hostess, or work at Walmart, that was about it... I ended up finding an apartment 2 hours north in Raleigh and he commuted back and forth on the weekend for 3-1/2 years. He loved it because he could "get away". We received ALOT of crap for it, but we knew it was right for us. I'm the breadwinner. So...that's something to consider if you fall short of jobs in that location.

In terms of applying for job...I had googled/monster'd/careerbuilder'd and narrowed down good-sized towns within the area and just started emailing. I told them that "I will be relocating from WI and am visiting the area between July10th-July16th and would like to have a few interviews lined up at that time." blah blah blah, look at my resume, see if I'm a good fit, blah blah blah. That way they'll jump on the opportunity if they know you'll be in town and are actually serious about moving.
I never even thought about living somewhere else while he lived close to base but it could be beneficial to us. I could live in Fresno or Visalia. I will bring this up to him, thank you!
Old 07-25-2012, 01:51 PM   #8
Gagenivy

Gagenivy is all that and a bag of chipsGagenivy is all that and a bag of chipsGagenivy is all that and a bag of chipsGagenivy is all that and a bag of chipsGagenivy is all that and a bag of chipsGagenivy is all that and a bag of chipsGagenivy is all that and a bag of chipsGagenivy is all that and a bag of chipsGagenivy is all that and a bag of chipsGagenivy is all that and a bag of chipsGagenivy is all that and a bag of chips

Those companies are here in Fresno. Downtown Fresno.
Gagenivy is offline   Reply With Quote

Military Spouse Support Network > Housing, moving, life in general > Work and School