Military Spouse Support Network

Go Back   Military Spouse Support Network > News, Politics, and Military Info > Military Info

Military Info New to military life? Need answers? This is the place for you!

Old 07-02-2012, 06:53 PM   #1
PurplePhoenix
just warming up

PurplePhoenix is on a distinguished road
Default Tricare

My insurance is currently Tricare under my stepdad who is in the Army. I recently got married and my husband leaves for basic for the Army in a week. How will the process of me getting switched over to my husbands insurance work? How will I know when I'm on his insurance instead of my stepdads? And how do we go about choosing which plan exactly/do we choose our plan?

Sorry if this has been asked. I haven't been able to find information on this. I could just be missing it.
PurplePhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:09 PM   #2
Gagenivy

Gagenivy is all that and a bag of chipsGagenivy is all that and a bag of chipsGagenivy is all that and a bag of chipsGagenivy is all that and a bag of chipsGagenivy is all that and a bag of chipsGagenivy is all that and a bag of chipsGagenivy is all that and a bag of chipsGagenivy is all that and a bag of chipsGagenivy is all that and a bag of chipsGagenivy is all that and a bag of chipsGagenivy is all that and a bag of chips

I think you have 30 days from the time he adds you on DEERS under him for it to kick in for routine care. ER would be covered during that time tho. Did his recruiter not go over this?
Gagenivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:37 PM   #3
PurplePhoenix
just warming up

Default Re: Tricare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagenivy View Post
I think you have 30 days from the time he adds you on DEERS under him for it to kick in for routine care. ER would be covered during that time tho. Did his recruiter not go over this?
Nope. Nobody has said a word to me about what on earth I am supposed to do and he leaves for basic in 7 days.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:40 AM   #4
Innervision
Super Moderator
Super Mod

My Mood:
Innervision is all that and a bag of chipsInnervision is all that and a bag of chipsInnervision is all that and a bag of chipsInnervision is all that and a bag of chipsInnervision is all that and a bag of chipsInnervision is all that and a bag of chipsInnervision is all that and a bag of chipsInnervision is all that and a bag of chipsInnervision is all that and a bag of chipsInnervision is all that and a bag of chipsInnervision is all that and a bag of chips

If you're married already I don't think you're eligible to be under your dad's plan at all.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:20 AM   #5
marybeth
iraq.

marybeth is all that and a bag of chipsmarybeth is all that and a bag of chipsmarybeth is all that and a bag of chipsmarybeth is all that and a bag of chipsmarybeth is all that and a bag of chipsmarybeth is all that and a bag of chipsmarybeth is all that and a bag of chipsmarybeth is all that and a bag of chipsmarybeth is all that and a bag of chipsmarybeth is all that and a bag of chipsmarybeth is all that and a bag of chips

Yeah I would expect once you got married you were no longer eligible for your dad's plan. Good news is if your husband heads off to basic so soon, you aren't going to have a huge time lapse without any health insurance coverage. As far as when you get your health insurance, I would think that many people show up to basic needing to enroll dependents into DEERS and they will be able to take care of it there. Having not taken that route into our Army life, I can't say for sure but someone on here has done it.
marybeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:46 AM   #6
PurplePhoenix
just warming up

Because of all of the new health care stuff going on even though I am married I am still allowed under my parents plan until I'm 26. I checked with Tricare to make sure so that is nice. I'm just switching over to my husbands because now that he is going to be leaving for basic and will have Tricare I'll be on his plan.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:07 AM   #7
cg~gunswife
retirement bound!!
Wow, look at me go!

My Mood:
cg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chipscg~gunswife is all that and a bag of chips

once he gets to boot camp he will get you into deers, at that time you will automatically switch to tricare standard, once you get your paperwork you can go get your new ID card and change to prime, as for choosing which plan go ro the tricare site and compare.

cg~gunswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:15 PM   #8
PurplePhoenix
just warming up

Thank you for the advice! I wasn't sure if it would be a mess because I already have Tricare or if it would work out simply.

Military Spouse Support Network > News, Politics, and Military Info > Military Info